Is it normal when if I have sharp pain in my rectal area?PLEASE HELP!

Dear cafemom,
I recently had a baby, and Im ahving trouble going to the bathroom. After I gave birth, I was given iron and stool softners at the hospital. Therefore, my first bowel movement was very smooth. But my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and soon to have 5th...are not going so well. When I try to go or slightly push, I get this real bad shap pain...I went to the doc, and I have no hermoroids. Im not constipated or bleeding, because I know I can go, its just I try to hold it as much as I can because it hurts when it first comes out. My doc said, that I had a little tear in my rectal area and thats whats causing the pain, but why once push that first (excuse my french) turd, everything after that doesnt hurt, its just that first turd. I have drank laxatives, water, eaten apples, to soften the stool but nothing....can anyone please help me, why is this happening? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Health

• You need to stay on the stool softeners like Colace. It could be a tear and they usually only hurt when the 1st turd passes then they numb up. The stool softeners will help make it easier until it heals. Pushing will make it take longer so if it is a softer bowel movement, there isn't as much trauma when going.

BTW, I had to take them for almost 3 months after my baby.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i had the same problems just like you it did get worse after the first few weeks...i think its because our muscles are so sore from labor or c sections etc that its just alot of stress...take laxatives every few days to keep yourself regular...i know u said you had done all of the above and i did too..but it just wasnt enough for me either...i finally took laxatives for 3 days in a row to rid myself of any that was backed up in there even tho i was already going..and i felt tons better and i got back regulated..good luck and this is not easy to deal with i know it can be sooo painful
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010