Should i get my 3 year old a hamster?

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. Hamsters are not a whole ton of fun. For one thing, their immune systems are barely existent, so they're prone to tumors and respiratory infections. They don't smell what I'd call April Fresh either. And a three-year-old is going to want to handle the hamster rather more often than the hamster is going to want to be handled.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I feel that is too young, unless you are prepared to do ALL of the care and feeding for the hamster, as well as supervise every moment and every second that your child is handling it. Children that young will often squeeze, squish, step-on, etc small animals. Growing up, the people next door to us kept buying hamsters for their young kids (young elem. school age) and the kids kept killing them (accidentally). But the parents would run out and buy another one. It was just awful.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No Hamsters are way too fragile. If you want a hamster, then that is different, but make sure there is no way he can open the cage to try and get it out. Hamsters can run fast too if it got loose. A 3 year old can not take care of a pet.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I can just picture a 3 year old loving the hamster to death...literally.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Chicago Parent, a magazine, did an article on getting pets that weren't cats and dogs for kids. Hamsters rated low. The best rated pets were actually a Guinea pig and a rat. But while, you need to decide if your 3 year old is mature enough to have a pet and not hurt it, you need to know that you will be taking care of the the pet. The best advice I have ever heard was you never get a kid a pet, you get the family a pet. Posting link for you.

http://www.chicagoparent.com/magazines/chicago-parent/2010-july/features/choosing-the-right-pet-for-your-family
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We got one wne my dd was 5 y/o. She was fine with it at tht age. I think 3 is too little...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No. First, hamsters have a habit of nipping at children, they are not very clean animals, and are not the smartest rodent in the world.

If I can make a suggestion, I would get a Rat instead. They are extremely clean animals (I trained mine to the litter box), they are extremely intellegent, and they do not bite unless they feel threatened even if you put your fingers thru the cage. They also have a tail to get a hold of if they get away (lol, never used it).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• no. Hamsters are not ideal pets. They are nocturnal for one, so only really active in the late evening. Other times of the day they sleep and if disturbed many will bite and bite HARD! They have LONG razor sharp teeth.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yukk no hamster for us lol thanks everyone
    Momofaprince146

Comment by Momofaprince146 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you're set on getting a small pet, I'd recommend a rat. We just added two new ratties to the family today. They are smart, rarely bite, and aren't as fragile as hamsters. I'd never get any other kind of rodents after having rats.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010