is there anything i need to know for my 3 year old starting preschool in sept?

My baby is starting preschool in sept mon-fri 830am till 4 pm what should a send him with and what are some things i should know? new mom

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 7:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a degree in early childhood education and have taught in preschool several years. The time sounds very long. Most preschools are from 8-11 or 830-11 give or take.

Is he ready for such a long day away from you mon-fri ? If he is...that is fine....just gonna mention it to you.

Other than that, be excited for him. Dont show him your upset or sad. Save that till he is out of the car :) Be proud for him!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My daughter is starting preschool in September as well. I was told I just needed to bring a change of clothes and sign up for snacks once a month. My preschool has an orientation night so that parents are more familiar with what is required as well -see if they offer something like that.

mom2twobabes - my preschool offers half days (morning or afternoons) and also full days. Can be 5 days, 3 days, or 2 days for all schedules. I guess it depends on what is needed for the parents. Since I'm a SAHM, I'm starting her on two half days per week, maybe next year I will up it to three half days. Depends on how she is doing and if I think she needs more stimulations -which I think she will.
    sastina

Answer by sastina at 8:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The first thing to recognize is that it is going to be a very long day for him. So be prepared for him to come home absolutely wiped-out and possibly a little cranky. It will take him a few weeks to really get into a rhythm and to get adjusted to his new schedule.

As far as what you'll need to send him with, your preschool should tell you but typically they just want a change of clothes to have on hand in case of any accidents.

As others have mentioned, stay upbeat and positive. And when you drop him off at school, keep it short and sweet. I'm sure that during the first week they will have a transition period where the days will be shorter and parents can stay for a portion of the day. At least that's how our preschool handled it.

Good luck with this new chapter in your son's life.

SentWithaSmile

Answer by SentWithaSmile at 8:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thank you everyone~
    Momofaprince146

Comment by Momofaprince146 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010