Am I a flirt and dont know it.

One of my guy friends came over to hang out with my husband and I. My husband told me afterward that I was giving the guy a lot of eye contact. When someone is talking to me male or female I use eye contact. I also laugh at jokes and am just engaging when anyone is talking to me I think its polite. So is eye contact flirting. If it is then Im a dumb ass for "flirting" in front of my husband.

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 8:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• maybe this friend of your husbands is single and maybe he has made a comment to your husband about you, or your husband say something flattering (and male grunt like..she is so hot, she does this or that for me) and maybe the friend was a bit too eager to hear details, therefore makinghusband on edge of anything this guy does around you

it may not be you at all, it may be what these young men are saying about women (including you) when they are being guys
    young men especially have to brag and grunt it up around other men, but then when the men are around one of their "own" women, they get very possessive

you said...My husband told me afterward that I was giving the guy a lot of eye contact....was he angry? Possessive? accusing you of anything? can not tell how your husband felt from just this sentence, sometimes not what you say but how you say it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Maybe your DH feels threatened. I see nothing wrong with eye contact. It shows that you are actively listening to what the other person is saying.

I would have a talk with DH about his feelings of inferiority with this friend.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Even if you don't think you are, sometimes people perceive it that way. I've had that issue myself. I don't stress it because I know what my intentions are (and are not).
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Eye contact is not flirting.

However, different people have different ideas of what is appropriate... it sounds like you and your husband have different ideas of where the line is, and you crossed his line.

It would be a good idea to sit down with your husband and discuss EXACTLY what is and isn't appropriate, and if the two of you disagree (and it sounds like you do!) then you need to come to a compromise and both agree on what will and will not be considered crossing the line.
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 8:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My husband was saying kind of like he was accusing me of something so thats why I was so worried.
    drs1206

Comment by drs1206 (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If your hubby thinks you are then I'd treat it as though it is

Answer by admckenzie at 8:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Do you respond as attentively to women? If not, then I'd say, yeah... you're flirting.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 9:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• People say i flirt too. I know i don't act any differently between men & women, but i think people tend to "notice" your attentiveness more when you are talking to the opposite sex. People say i am a flirt, well i say i am just a good listener. I am the same way when i talk to women, but people only seem to notice it when i talk to men. Well, i think that some people are just jealous that i get attention from people who like to talk because i am a good listener. I know when i am flirting & when i am not.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have the same problems-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010