Why won't you use the 'voting down' for difference of opinion?

I've seen people say they won't vote down someone for having a different opinion. Why not? I know everyone is entitled to their opinions BUT...

If you believe in something 100% and someone comes along and disagrees with you and gives what you think are ridiculous reasons why, what's the problem with voting them down?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ooohh and i have
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• IMO, it has to do with tolerance of someones beliefs or opinion. I won't vote down an opposing opinion because I have tolerance for different views on things, it also makes me think about why I believe the way I do.

Now if the opinion was going to cause harm or was rude/derogatory, then I have no issue voting it down.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I won't vote someone down because of a difference of opinion, after all they are entitled to their opinion.  I only vote down answers that are rude or offensive.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It depends on the difference of opinion. Personally, I would prefer you vote me down than call me out, because then I will take the time to rebuttal & drama ensues. If it's something little, I'll happily ignore it. But when your opinion is dangerous or hateful or both, I will happily vote you down rather than reply...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you vote down people just because they disagree then it's going to turn in to a voting war. You can post your opinion to counteract their opinion which is a far more intelligent course of action. Bear in mind that you only get a limited number of down votes so it's better to use them for answers that are truly bad rather than ones that are well thought out but that go against what you believe.

I won't vote down an answer I disagree with but if I see someone has voted down an answer that is perfectly reasonable and on topic then I will vote it back up so they can at least have a neutral rating rather than negative.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with Beeky and Sabrina. I don't like the voting thing and it almost makes me want an anonymous button back.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• everyone is entitled to an opinion. Why would I want to vote someone down for that? they may not love my opinion either!

IF someone is being cruel or nasty about it though then it might be different. So far I have not voted anyone down
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think people can have a difference of opinion and as long as they put it out there in a respectful way then I don't think they should get a down vote. You can disagree with them all you want but if they are saying "I don't support gay marriages" then let them have their opinion. However, if they are saying "Fags are going to burn in hell", then by all means give them a down vote. I agree though, it is hard to really tell what a "bad" answer is. There have been a few times where I wanted to vote someone's answer down but I had to step back and think "is this really a rude answer or more a difference of opinion.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Because I like to follow the guidelines. = )
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm not going to punish them for thinking differently than me.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2010