13 month old climber

How can I keep my 13 month old from climbing everything? I never had this issue with my other girls, not this bad at least. I just don't know what else I can do to stop her I feel like I have tried everything!

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 8:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess you can try to just let her climb and make sure she does not fall and she will eventually learn to climb and then get down again. My 20 month old figured out how to climb on a table last week and I was nervous about it and just watched him and he got down by himself too. I think they are just curious because it satisfied him to get up and get back down because he did not do it since LOL
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 9:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She climbs on the table, the entertainment center, places I really consider dangerous I just don't know what to do!
    BusyBeesmom

Comment by BusyBeesmom (original poster) at 9:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is 14 months and when he started climbing on the couch at like 11 months i tried everything to get him to stop, but after a while I was so tried of getting him off the couch I just let him climb up. I was worried that he would fall so I just watched him and would help him down when he whined. After about a month or so he figured out how to get down all on his own. I tink they are just curious
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 9:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 13 month old son climbs on everything too! It's crazy. My daughter was not like this at all. I just try to keep an eye on him. If he is climbing on something dangerous I get him down and tell him no. I don't think there is much else you can do. Good luck, I know it's hard but I am sure it's just a stage.
    Michellesmom06

Answer by Michellesmom06 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 16 month old daughter is a climber as well. I just let her climb on appropriate things and just watch her to make sure she doesnt get hurt.
    tarams98020

Answer by tarams98020 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Some kids just love climbing. My toddler (16 months) is a climber! You are absolutely right to not let your little one climb onto dangerous places like the table/entertainment center; it's a battle but you just have to keep telling her "no" and not letting her do it. One thing that helps with the table is keeping the chairs pushed in all the way so the little one can't climb up!

Also, you might consider buying a child-sized table and chair. Don't let her climb on the table, but little ones really enjoy figuring out how to climb into a chair their size and sit in it. Alternatively, you can let her climb onto a normal chair at your table and play with toys on the table - just make sure you are right there to stop her from trying to climb on the table. That way she learns what the table is for (drawing/playing, not climbing). If you are consistent and ALWAYS stop her from climbing on the table, she will stop trying to do it. :)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 9:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2010