My son's friend is a vegeterian, am I wrong that I feel very put out to serve meals around just him?

My son will have last minute get together with his friends, which is fine by me until I realize I have not gone shopping to serve meals to a vegetarian. So we always have to go out of our budget to get food out. He is 12 and they have been friends since they were 10. I know years ago if I told my parents I was going giving up meat they would probably say sure once your paying for your own groceries and cooking your own meals. Any ideas of how I can better prepare or what I can do so it I do not feel so put out?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 8:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• he could just eat whatever side dishes you are already making, he could have pb and j sandwich, keep some frozen been adn cheese burritos around and he could have that, let him eat cereal...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• what is so hard about cooking for a vegetarian? what kind of meals do you ususally make that you are finding yourself having to get food out?

You'll find most vegetarians are very used to living and eating within the realms of a meat eating world
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• With all the cheese advice make sure he is vegetarian and NOT vegan. Vegans don't eat dairy, eggs or honey either :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 9:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• just cook things that you would usually cook for yourself. vegetarians aren't picky because they know that they have to live in a meat eating world. my entire inlaw family is vegetarian. macaroni and cheese, baked ziti, spaghetti without the meat in the sauce. it's not too hard.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 8:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Cook what you cook for your family and he adapts to that if he's invited over. Period. He's not even your child. Having some frozen items in the freezer, like mentioned above, is a great idea too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Honestly, if I were you I would cook like I normally do. I would simply tell him when we started eating, that while I had several side dishes made, but if he did not like or could not eat them, he was more than welcome to rummage through the cabinets and see what he wanted.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• wow, unless there is meat in absolutely everything that you cook, including sides, etc. Then he can work his way around it.
    I have no idea what you are feeding him that costs so much, but I feed a family of 5 on $300 a month- and we're vegetarians.

I surely hope that out friends and family don't feel "Put Out" because we eat healthfully. No one ever changes their menu for us...

The bit about "when you're grown up, paying for and cooking your own meals"- that was simply uncalled for. *shakes head* That child will outlive you all for the lack of poison he is having put in his body.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• ...a world centerd around meat, where you can hardly go out to eat anywhere. Don't feel put out by him, he is your son's friend. My friend's parents were actually my refuge because they would make things for me to eat, when my parents told me I had to buy my own groceries once I was old enough to get a job because they were not going to support my weird eating habits. Basically what I am saying is, give the kid a break. He is probably getting enough crap as it is.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 9:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have been a vegetarian for many years and when we get invited to someones house, I do not expect to be catered and make do with what they have and what I will eat.

Answer by older at 9:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If it were me and if this child ate at my home frequently I would ask him about being vegetarian and what he can/can't eat. I would do the same for anyone that I knew had a special diet, or food allergies as I would hate to serve them something that they could not eat, and I would hate it if they walked away from my table hungry. Being a good hostess I would try keep some of the things he can eat on hand (either frozen, fresh or something in the pantry) that way if he does come over short notice I would have something for him to eat.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2010