why is it when you start to question your religion, other in that religion jump to tell you to read your bible and pray, or if something has happened they say that's why you feel like you do?

even if you tell then you have been thinking it for years. they seem to jump to the thought that you have not read you bible and prayed and your still coming to the same point. or that if you suffer a loss that's why your acting like you are, when it has nothing to do with it.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because they don't want to risk questioning it themselves, so they give the safest possible answer (for them) in hopes you'll stop talking before they start agreeing. As for the other crap, no, you don't have to suggest another book - that's no different than bible banging and just as offensive. What you can do is suggest another perspective and some soul searching so they can find the answer that is right for THEM (and in the meantime, just let them know there is someone they can talk to who isn't going to judge them).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think people feel threatened. If you're choosing not to follow their religion anymore than that must mean you're judging them or that you think they are somehow less than you. There's also a fear element in some denominations. There are churches that teach their followers not to associate with non-believers. When I left christianity I lost a lot of friends. Some came back but there are still a couple of people out there who will pretend they don't know me if they pass me on the street.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• LOL..well what SHOULD they tell you? To read ANOTHER holy text? To forget about religion completely when times get tough, I mean really it's only valid when things are going well and everything falls in the line you have made? I doubt they are being rude or mean but the LOGICAL thing to tell someone when they are questioning their religion IS to research it more within the religion. If I am question whether cheerios tasted good I am not going to eat a fruit loops :) Of course they are assuming that you want to TRY and stay within your religion if thats NOT the case you should SAY that you are questioning whether ANOTHER religion might have it better understood. In which case you will STILL get a few hard core Christians (this IS a public forum after all) who wont see that as a good idea but MOST people will THEN tel you to research OTHER religions.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Maybe for some it's like, when you're trying to assemble a toy or furniture and it isn't working right, the first thing your spouse suggests is read the manual.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Because many do not know what else to say ... sometimes they have been where you are and have chosen to stay with their religion ... other times they can't understand why you would even have doubts.

Either way, you have to decide for yourself what you believe or don't believe.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That's what christians say when they don't have a real answer for you. They have either never felt any doubt (and we all know that CAN'T be true) or they have been having the same doubts and are looking for an answer. And this is what their church leaders have told them. Questions and doubts are just forbidden in the christian religion--and, indeed, many other religions. Agnosticism, or doubts about the validity of religion and god, is a normal and logical human response. You may not have completely decided that god is a myth, as is his book, but logic is making you wonder how such over the top claims can possibly be true. If this ideology is not working for you, the logical thing would be to leave it behind. Start exploring other belief systems. You might be a good fit for Paganism or Wicca. Or perhaps Buddhism. I was led to atheism. You might be, too.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Because they believe the problem lies within you,not in the doctrine of the religion.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• People all don't have the answer, but God sets the backdrop.... the time.... and not always immediately.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It is what they do. They are not big on losing followers- and if they have questioned any of it themselves-it can be scary to think that THAT could ultimately end in THEM not believing anymroe either...and if you don't believe anymore then that's proof to them that it happens you know?
    If it doesn't work for you then let it go. Don't continue trying to believe in something to make OTHER people happy. Don't worry about them, they will carry on and find someone else to tell to read their bible or to pray more.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• a lot of the time, it's the small and simple things that we're not doing that can create disbelief. I know it to be true in my own life. When i'm not communicating with my Heavenly Father, I grow distant. When I'm not reading my scriptures I forget of all the many blessings that I have, and the promises He has made to His sons and daughters.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010