help my two yr old turns three in nov and still breastfeeds he throws huge temper tantrums if i dont let him or cries and begs me please mommy please people are starting to look at us like well you know that look other parents can give any advice

andbran

Asked by andbran at 9:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS is similar. I'm ready to stop, but he isn't, so I'm sticking it out a bit longer in hopes he will self wean soon. One thing I did do was start to have talks with him about it, and not while he's screaming for it and I'm frustrated about giving it.... While I understand its no one's business, it totally freaks my friends and family out, so I decided that he could have it but only in the privacy of our home and only for sleeping and naps and when he gets really upset. So, if we are heading out somewhere for the day I remind him that he can't have it until we get home, or if we are having company I'll tell him that he can't have it while they are here, etc. He understands and is ok with these rules. So, I'm not cutting him off completely, but I am setting some boundaries, he's good with it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• world wide, the average age for weaning is 4 years.

If you're done, you're done... but it's a complete and total lie that he is too old, or that there are no benefits. As long as he is still nursing he is getting just as many benefits as he was when he was an infant.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I breastfed my second child until just before he turned 3, but he was down to just before naps and bedtime. With weaning at this age, its going to just like anything else, they are going to throw tantrums about it. If you are ready to wean, you will just have to be firm about it. On the other hand, if you don't want to wean it is fine to continue to nurse as there are still benefits to you and your child so don't let anyone else bother you about it. Maybe you could just work on cutting back to once or twice a day.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with Obby.

I would also forget what others think - they are not important and if you live in America I am assuming you will get that a lot from the opinions I have see on here as well as from Americans I know.

My son is nearly 3 and still feeding...He will stop when he is ready to.

An abrupt stop will be not only affect your son negatively but also you.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I also think that it is cruel to ignore a child's upset. If you are going to take something away from them that they use to get comfort and to bond with you..then don't ignore the upset. If you choose to wean, allow him to cry, tantrum and be there to cuddle him when he is done. Ignoring is a horrible thing to do and is very damaging to anyone who has ever experienced it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• http://www.mothering.com/breastfeeding/extend-breastfeedings-benefits

http://codenamemama.com/2010/07/02/the-joys-of-breastfeeding-a-toddler-15/

http://networkedblogs.com/5vM37

I believe in EBF...I believe a child should self-wean. Who are you and other people to say i he still needs it or not? After all...most kids will stop by age 5 or 6. And....what is 5 years in the span of 80, 90 or even the 100 years they may continue to live. Don't rush the process. Let him be the baby that he still is and needs to be. Nurse him until ripened...

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Its so sick how a mother can deny her child such a good thing, Its even sicker how peopole go by "what everyone thinks" what everyone will say" if they jumped off a cliff would you go too?

Sick sick sick and all at the suffering of our children.

How cruel.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Limit it to naptime and before bed. Put your foot down if you don't want to do it any longer.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• He doesn't need it anymore. You can still cuddle him and hold him. But if a child was walking around still drinking a bottle at that age, people would also say its time to stop. If you want him to have the breast milk, pump and put it in a cup. Its wonderful you've created that bond and I strongly encourage every mother to bf. But when they are old enough to ask for it, I would stop if it were me.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 12??? WOW!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010