Does Death Ever Get Any Easier To Deal With?

It has been 7 years today of the death of my cousin. He was on a motorcycle and someone pulled out in front of him and killed him on the spot. he was 28 years old. I miss him every day and it hurts so much. I thought after a few years the pain would get easier, and I guess that it has just not by much. Has anyone lost anyone and know that after a few more years the pain get less?

Savymom25

Asked by Savymom25 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• My cousin died in 1998. She was 19 years old and it was a few weeks before her high school graduation. She was also engaged to be married. She died from "sudden death". The doctors never found the cause, they just know her heart was enlarged about two times bigger than a normal heart. Our family knows the true cause though because at the time she was taking birth control shots and you weren't supposed to take it if you had high blood pressure. We looked up side effects and one was enlarging of your organs. She was my best friend and more like a sister to me than a cousin. It's been 12 years since she passed and I have never fully gotten over it. When I think about her I cry and I just get really sad. I must say though, I have dealt with a lot better now than I was a few years ago. It will get better... it just takes time. I am so sorry for your loss.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I lost my daughter to stillbirth in 2000 and I still get overwhelmed with grief at times. I think the ability to handle the grief gets better over time,but it never totally goes away.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We are 3 days away from the anniversary of my moms passing. It will be 2 years and I still don't feel like it's gotten any easier. I can talk about it without crying now, but that doesn't meant it hurts any less.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 9:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it's different for everyone. I've lost both my grandmother and grandfather about the same number of years ago, and although I have my days where I miss them, I know where they are, and someday can see them again.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I journal, or take myself for a treat / walk, or just start a new craft. Nothing is going to change unless you start something.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would say it gets easier, but you just deal with it in a different way. I still miss my dad and its been12 years now. It is all hard to deal with but the unexpected deaths are harder for me. Its the not getting to say good bye and the unfinished business that makes it harder for me.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Grief is different for everyone in how they choose to handle it and how long it takes them to work thru it. For me I can say that as the years go by the pain of their loss is less, and I can now think back on that person and remember them with a smile, and not with sadness and tears . One thing that helps me is knowing they are not truly gone, they are with me every day in my heart and in my memories.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We lost our niece Cynthia in 99 to sudden infant death and it is hard the pain is still there she was only 5 months old :( sorry for your loss...the pain fades a lil but its still there all these years later....
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 10:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My dad passed a year ago this past Monday. I hope it gets better but sadly from what my friends say...it doesn't.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I am so sorry you are still hurting, but it does get better, there will come a time that when you think of him it will bring a smile instead of a tear, hugs!

Answer by older at 11:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2010