• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know how to make homemade ice cream WITHOUT using an ice cream maker???

I've been craving homemade ice cream but don't have one of the ice cream makers, electric or otherwise.....
does anyone know of a way I can make some good homemade ice cream without one????

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• "What you'll need:

* 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1/2 cup milk or half & half
    * 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    * 6 tablespoons rock salt
    * 1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
    * 1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
    * Ice cubes

How to make it:

1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
    2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
    3. Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
    4. Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
    5. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!

Tips:

A 1/2 cup milk will make about 1 scoop of ice cream, so double the recipe if you want more. But don't increase the proportions more that that -- a large amount might be too big for kids to pick-up because the ice itself is hea

Answer by missanc at 10:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think you put the ingredients in a ziplock baggy. Then put that baggy in a big baggy filled with ice. Shake it like crazy for a while. They do this at my son's daycare.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/ice_cream/ice_cream.html
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When I was in kindergarten we used snow, milk and sugar, maybe vanilla or chocolate, can't remember the combination since I was little, but it was fun and very yummy.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think if you put your mixture in the freezer and take it out every 10minutes or so and stir it then put it back in and do that for a while it has the same kind of effect. Could be wrong though :)
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Put milk and cream, sugar and some crushed fruit into stainless steel small containers with lids for portioning. Just to mix once place in a bit of thickening mix, usually corn starch, or a type of tapioca .
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I know how to make it in a food processor. I found a recipe similar to what my mom does on cooks.com. I THINK that if you don't have a food processor that you MIGHT be able to do it a blender. The recipe on cooks.com said to serve immediately but my mom always put her in the freezer for at least an hour before serving. She also has used other things then strawberries. She used blueberries, bananas, raspberries, etc. She's even done a coffee but doing that is much, much, different then the fruit. I'm not sure on all of the processes involved in making coffee flavored, I just know that it's very different then making it with fruit.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You guys are amazing! thank you !!!! :)
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010