my 3 year old asked another little boy to take his pants off. Is this normal.

so the details are that he plays with his pennis alot, and I found him in his room with his shorts off and his diaper off trying to take the 2 year olds pants off. Then later that night I was reading him a story and he started playing with him self again. I told him that it was fine to tounch yourself but dont let anyone eles and when I asked him if someone did he said yes. He told me his cousin who is 6 years old( i think 6). Now if I ask him if a purple zebra is outside he'll say yes to that to. If anyone has any imput PLEASE write me Im besides myself....Thank you

Asked by cajungal at 2:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is normal for a child to be curious. Even though you're not sure if he's telling the truth about his cousin, I would be watchful when they play together. Stuff happens and kids get curious. Make sure your son knows that it's not OK to touch another's private or for someone to touch his (exception being the doctor in an exam and you and your dh when bathing him).

Answer by amethystrse at 2:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• yes its normal most just want to see if others have it as well you can make him a story that way its the way you want it about how those our priviate things theres a lotof children stories addressing it. but dont worry its okay

Answer by Patience1 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Oh I just remembered...there is a book called "Good touch, Bad touch" that's meant for kids to teach them when it's OK to touch someone and when it's not. My therapist had one that she showed me when my son was being overly curious about my daughter.

Answer by amethystrse at 2:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Talk to the cousins mother. The least you can do is find out the 6 yr olds side of the story. A teacher, bus driver and many others are required to report this information if your child even talks about it within their hearing. Children are curious but our society has a no tollerance policy for good reason.

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I would talk to the cousin's parents and let them know what is being said. If your son is lying about being touched thats a whole other issue. Your son may just not understand what the question is. Kids get curious...they also try to recreate what they see. My fiance and I were always very affectionate in front of my stepkids. We kissed a lot and hugged a lot and held hands. Then I found my best friend's daughter and my oldest stepson open mouth kissing one day. They just didn't understand that its not OK for them to do it but its OK for me and daddy to do it. We have stopped being so affectionate needless to say.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• very normal... especially if they have a sister and notice she doesn't. they'll think something is weird and it shouldn't be there, etc... it's a guy security issue. hopefully should pass soon. (it's kinda awkward when things do go public or involve other kids)

Answer by Ambreelulu at 11:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2008