What are some good snacks and meals for a picky 2 yr old?

anyone else have a picky toddler?? mine only eats certain things. what can i do to make her explore more foods?? are there any meals your kids just cant resist?!

jesi817

Asked by jesi817 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Goldfish crackers, honey nut cheerios, animal crackers, watermelon chunks (actually almost any fruit cut into bite-sized pieces), green beans, spaghetti or spaghetti-o's. Our DD was VERY picky and she finally decided that if she was not going to be hungry, she'd better eat. It took a LONG while before she would eat meat (other than chicken) though (and we raise beef cattle).
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 10:36 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my dd LOVES chicken. and mac n cheese. also ramen noodles.. but i just feel like crap giving her the same stuff over and over.. and its not the healthiest stuff either.. :/ she likes crackers and goldfish too, and cherrios! shes not big on fruit either. but sometimes she will eat a fruit cup.. :/
    jesi817

Comment by jesi817 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It is simple. You feed the child, if they are hungry they will eat. If they choose not to, then mean time is over.

A healthy child will not starve their self.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• this is VERY true ObbyDobbie!
    jesi817

Comment by jesi817 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is 20 months old. He eats what we're having for meals/snacks, or he waits until the next one. I don't make a separate meal for him and he's learned that.

Answer by missanc at 11:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think the best thing is to not allow pickiness. Offer the foods you are eating and nothing special and not only foods you know she likes. And keep offering it.... they know that it takes a MINIMUM of offering a food 10 times before they really know they don't like something, so just because she has rejected foods in the past doesn't mean she doesn't like them. if she doesn't eat... oh well, she can try something new the next meal. If she is hungry, she will eat. And don't let her fill up on snacks between meals or she'll learn that if she waits long enough and doesn't' try her food then she can just have something she likes later.
    I also mix things in to foods I know my son loves... so with him, he likes anything that's a noodle... I mix in veges and chicken to his mac and cheese.
    My almost 2 year old is a wonderful eater because we never offer separate meals and we don't allow pickiness... he gets what he gets.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Finger foods always work well like cold cuts, pieces of cheese, cereal, etc. My son at two years old was fascinated by the Big Stuff Cookie. He would spend hours holding this extremely large cookie and taking toddler bites out of it. lol
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my son is super picky too. try colorful yogurts...i give him the trix rabbit kind and he loves it....also, if she sees you eating it she may want to try it out. I would eat things infront of my son and pretend it was the best thing in the world and he just had to try it too! they are right when they say that kids won't starve themselves...if you offer her something and she doesnt take it, no big deal...when she's really hungry she'll let you know. for the longest time my son would eat something then spit it out and i would be worried....but when he was really hungry he would eat like theres no tomorrow!
    JulesMommy1008

Answer by JulesMommy1008 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010