For Mommas working with midwifes- What does your midwife do for sonograms?

my midwife sent me to this sonographer for $100 an appointment. what if i need to get a sonogram for a risk or something? i cant be shelling out $100 each time... when she tried to call the other sonographers, they told her they needed a "doctor" to call in the request. any advice?

jesi817

Asked by jesi817 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Doesn't your midwife work in conjunction with a hospital or OB?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This is the policy for mine:

Ultrasounds are not included in the fee for EdenWay’s services and are not required of EdenWay clients, unless medically indicated. If there’s a medical reason for an ultrasound or if you desire a routine mid-pregnancy anatomy ultrasound, there are a few local sonographers who we can refer you to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yeah, thats the issue... she doesnt work with any ob or hopsital... i dont think.. i live in a crap town. midwifes are kinda looked down apon .. (as is natural home birth) :P
    and it sucks bc my insurance covers sonograms (as long as they are medically needed) and id only have to pay $30 for a sonogram instead of $100.. also, i remember with my first pregnancy, i had many sonograms. 1 was around 12 weeks i think (maybe 15 weeks) to check for some diseases (mostly down syndrom) and then i had a few bc i was contracting at 36 weeks and they wondered why... but it was no big deal then bc i went to a hospital. alot more insurance friendly.
    jesi817

Comment by jesi817 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Sonograms are unnecessary and are subjective so there are more false positives than actual problems.. If there is a problem your insurance should reinburse you, but there is lot of hostility toward midwives. They represent a loss of a lot of revenue.

My advice? Stop planning for a risk, it is a waste of time especially if you are low risk to begin with.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wanted to add that a family practioner who is natural minded may be able to give the referral. for the most part they may be happy with just the name. It's silly I know.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My MW just scheduled one @ the hospital to screen for possible issues. I only had one (No need to expose the baby to more than that).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• this is all great advice!!! im glad i asked. yall are right. there is no nessessary sonogram. we want one more to see the gender.. but that will be our last one. its not like we would abort is something were wrong.. so anyways, you all are right! i guess im worried for nothing! :)
    jesi817

Comment by jesi817 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• abort if* something were wrong..
    jesi817

Comment by jesi817 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• around here, ob's will not work with midwives either. i think it is very sad. i lied to an ob about even working with a midwife. that was the only way i could see an ob and the midwife. very very sad. i wanted an early ultrasound to get a baby count because i had twins before. i agree whole heartedly with amileegirl, do not plan on problems!
    there are many things a midwife can detect without ultrasound technology. they can feel the baby position, they can feel low or high amounts of amniotic fluid, they can hear the heart rate.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my midwife send me to the same sonographer but if i need an emergency one they i go to the hospital! that is what they should do
    leanghiapii

Answer by leanghiapii at 2:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2010