Has anyone used "My Baby Can Read" with an older child around 5?

My son is 5 and has a hard time concentrating when I'm teaching him. I know it's mainly because I'm his mother and all he wants to do is play. He starts school this year and I know he'll learn this in school but I like to be ahead of the game. I'm wondering if this program would work with someone in his age group.

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Have you tried making sight word cards or labeling everything in the house? Make sure he knows the sounds of the letters, because he will need phonics. Also, at Costco or Sams, you can get a box of BOB books, my 4 yr old loves those! They teach letter sounds and sight words. Also if you are working with him, he is already ahead of the game, you will be shocked at how many kids do not even know there colors, or how to count to 10 or even how to say their ABC's let alone read! It is really sad...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I doubt it will help anyone of any age. It is mostly memorization as opposed to actual Phonics and learning to read. He just needs you to read books to him and point out letters and sounds while out and about.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• **their not there.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with Bradens! Phonics development is the way to go--IMO the Leap Frog system is the best for young children--the books, and toys all stress solid phonics and later reading comprehension. What is great about them is they allow a child to progress at their own pace. Even when they get answers wrong, it is done a positive way!

Neither of my children spoke until they were 4. We started using the Leap Frog toys and games from the moment they became available--I think our older son was 2 1/2), and by the time they were 5 they were both reading fluently AND (more importantly) comprehending what they were reading. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Soniam - I actually have a list of sight words in front of me right now that I'm planning on making into flashcards. I've worked with him on sight words when it comes to colors but nothing else yet. I'll look into BOB books and Phonics programs.
    vnw1405

Comment by vnw1405 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010