Fresh fruit during the first year?

I was talking to my grandma about how my 6mo old LOVES pickles. I mentioned that I had a watermelon I was going to cut up and see how she did with that. She told me that she had always heard you don't give babies fresh fruit the first year. Is this true?? Does anyone know why?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I haven't heard that. I always gave them bananas.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:39 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No it isn't true. All my son ate in the first year is fruits and vegetables. I started him on banana and various melons. He eats lots of fruit and vegetables...and I think its important to give them as a first food.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Those are excellent for babies,no prosessing to lose vitamins

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you are un sure, there is a great book called "Super Baby Food" that tells you when and how (cooked or raw) it is ok to give fruits and veggie...It is awesome because some fruits and veggies can be given earlier cooked, while others you should wait to give.

It also has great recipes for natural cleaners and healthy foods :)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Not true at all. And, frankly, processed "baby food" has little to no nutritional value.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I've always read that fresh fruit is great for them, as long as the pieces are small enough so that they can't choke. If they can have jarred baby food, I don't see why fresh fruit could be bad. I always give my son a variety of fruit, except for citrus fruits, which I have read they shouldn't have so young.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2010