What exactly is EBF

I know what the term EBF is. What I want to know does it mean that the child/infant only get your breast milk. Or does it mean that the child could be taking baby foods, table foods etc. But is only drinking your milk?
Sorry this question is dumb but this has been bugging me. I have seen some people say they ebf for 15, 24, whatever months, and I seriously doubt that their child isn't eating food.
But then I have talked to people who said they EBF until 4 months when they started them on cereal.
Which is right? This is sad coming from a mom who has bf both of her kiddos for at least a year. I also have another on the way. But this term bugs me.
Just curious what everyone else's views on the term are? People tend to use it inter changably. Which one is right?

tiredmomfor2

Asked by tiredmomfor2 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• It means that they are still taking breastmilk but it isn't necessarily their only source of food. I htink some people may think it means EXCLUSIVELY which means then it would just be breastmilk only if they are talking about it that young but older children it is about extended breastfeeding..I think maybe that is where the confusion lies between exclusive and extended.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I assumed it meant breast milk and NOTHING else, no water, foods etc. I could be wrong
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on who you talk to. Some refer to EBF as exclusively feeding the BM until they are ready for solids while others are refering to only BM, no cows milk or formula.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Exclusive BF means you only gave breastmilk and nothing else.
    Extended BF means you breastfed past the "accepted" weaning age of one, but, the got other food too.

So, it just depends. Some women type EBF and mean one and not the other. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010