giving up parental rights

my boyfriend has a 18month old from his ex girlfriend. she is major drama, he wants to terminte his rights to get her out of his life. she doesnt want him to because she wants child support. to him its not about child support, its cuz she got him in alot of trouble. is there a way he can terminate his rights without her having to agree to it? no bashing

nmgirl87

Asked by nmgirl87 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• He should talk to a lawyer. I'm sure there's a way but it's going to be difficult if he can even do it.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would be very surprised if he is able to. I think he would need the mother's agreement and if he wants to give his rights up and it was me I would agree. I wouldn't want my child raised by someone who wanted out...but if the mother is after money I doubt he has a chance.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Idk.. but he should still have to pay child support either way.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No. She has to agree to it and she can't be on any kind of public assistance. What is he going to tell his daughter when she is grown?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It is a lot harder than you think. And for the reasons you are giving, the courts are not going to be in his favor. It would be better to set up a situation where the visitation won't let them be in contact with each other at all. Lawyers are going to have to get involved so there is a concrete binding child custody agreement. The child needs the child support. I wish people would think before they sleep with each other. This poor child didn't ask to be put in the position. They need to be raised in a loving and nurturing environment.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• He should consult an attorney. In many states it is not even possible, unless there is another party who is willing to accept the rights.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• He should consult with an attorney. For what its worth I think he needs to consider the impact to his child if he just walks away, is he okay with his child growing up to believe he abandoned her, didn't want to support her or love her, those are some big consequences just because he doesn't want to deal with the mother. God knows a mother of that kind is probably not going to talk highly of your bf. I'd suggest what others have said get an attorney and set up a child custody agreement, she may be after child support and the child is entitled but it doesn't mean she gets to make his life miserable, and an attorney should be able to set the limits and boundaries.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Please know that this should be a red flag to you that he may not be a wonderful, upstanding guy. I could never be with a man who would just walk away from his children. Think about what might happen if you have a child with him and he suddenly decides you are crazy and he wants nothing more to do with your child. I also think he should still have to pay child support even if he gives up his rights. I feel sorry for the child in question:(
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 11:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• parents cannot just terminate rights...the parent that has custody has to file a petition to terminate his rights..unless they are both on mutual grounds and agree its whats best for the child..since she wants child support im not sure there is anything he can do since they dont agree...also in order to terminate rights the absent parent must not be around for more than 6 consecutive months and be and endangerment to the childs health and well being...good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010