Question about divorce!!

My parents are getting divorced because my father left my mom for her best friend.... I do not approve of this nor do i approve of other actions he is making towards my mother. My kids keep asking where their Pa is and he doesnt act like he wants anything to do with them. How do I explain to a 2 and 5 year old that they cant see him right now?

tatorsmom2004

Asked by tatorsmom2004 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thats a toughy.. I would just say he's a work.. eventually they will quit asking so much. I'm sorry to hear by the way.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I would just tell them that he was busy with other things right now and leave it at that. If they ask when they can see him, just tell them that depends on when he can make time.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would be honest with them. Tell him where their Pa is...they don't need the adult version but rather than lie or misdirect, which may cause trust issues later, just tell them...Pa went to live___ and maybe soon you can see him.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It would be interesting to put this in his lap. If you could make contact with him and tell him the kids need to talk to him. They want to know where he is and when they can see him. He is twitterpated again. Men don't always think with the right head if you know what I mean. He needs something to turn the light on, that his actions are affecting more than just him. Or ask him what he would like you to tell them. He isn't going to turn around and come running back I realize. I feel so bad for you. Divorce hurts even when you are an adult child.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Sorry to hear...I have to agree with Lifes-A-Dance. Put it back on his lap...good luck.
    WonderTwinMom

Answer by WonderTwinMom at 11:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't tell them the full details of the situation just yet. Just say "The Grandpa is trying to figure some things out right now and needs to be alone."
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yeah, I'd just say Grandpa is working on some things and it's taking a lot of time.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 1:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010