Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support case has been referred to court - What happens now?

Okay, so I applied for child support enforcement on my ex as our daughter is almost 5 and he has sent her a total of maybe $300 her entire life. He always has some excuse after the other for why he can't help (the most amusing to me being "I have other children to support" when he has a wife who can but doesn't work and I was raising two kids on my own.... case closed, I win that argument). I never had a petition for child support filed/created because I honestly didn't know how, but as soon as I found out how to get help I filed (sadly just recently).
I FINALLY (after applying for help on May3rd, 2010) received a notification update as of yesterday that my case has been referred to court.
What happens now? Since he is in another state do I have to go to that state or does he have to come here? Is this court date to establish a petition for child support payments? How long will it take to actually start getting payments?


Asked by Memigen at 11:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 27 (30,799 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • it is to establish a court order so that payment is enforceable. In most cases, he would have to come to where YOU are, but it depends on state law (you can google that).
    It could take anywhere from 4 weeks, to six months to get a court date.
    You should NEVER expect to see a dime out of him- just because it is ordered does not mean it will be paid. I live in one of the most aggressive states enforcing child support, and my ex is over $3,000 behind. He pays a partial payment when it is convenient.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • When my case went to criminal prosecution I did not have to show up - only he did. They will keep you updated by mail of the outcome of each court proceeding.
    I began receiving my c/s immediately after he was taken to court as they began garnishing his disability payments.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • IDK what to say... he was ordered to pay CS to me, and I would handle receipts and all - his first pymt was due 4/16 and I have YET to receive a single payment! I am going to make the time to go to CS enforcement downtown - and let the courts handle it. I guess we'll see where it goes from there...

    Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010