I just wanna cry

I've always thought as myself as an okay mother until I took my daughter to the dentist last week and found at that almost all of her teeth were bad and that she needs to be put to sleep to fix them all. And I try everyday to do whats best for them. And until last week I thought that by doing that was just loving them and giving them everything they needed, wanted and a lot of times things they didnt even want. But I guess I forgot that I have to prepare them for the real world and to grow up. My daughters dentist made me realize that its not just about materialistic things that its about everything. I can't feed my daughter every sweets all day long ( which I don't do but I have changed their eaiting habits.) I just feel so horrible I feel like I've failed her. If it was just one cavitiy I wouldn't feel so bad I mean I have had cavities but all her teeth makes me feel horrible. What can I do to make myself feel better?

lovie04256

Asked by lovie04256 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just do better in the future. Brush her teeth twice a day, everyday. Remember that as her mom you're laying the foundation for the rest of her life.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my son went to the dentist for the first time and had 7 cavities. It was a horrible feeling. He told me that often it's the saliva in someones mouth that contributes to cavities. He also told me that brushing is honestly not enough espically for a person with deep grooves in their teeth (which my son has) He recommended a water pick. It has worked wonders. My son loves it. Thedoctor said he has a young son and after he eats his snack before bed he will help him brush his teeth and there is still food there. He was very helpful.
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Just remember that even the most obsessive brushers get cavities. Hell, Ki brushes her teeth 5 times a day and always has 2 or 3, and I even brush them twice myself.
    Just try to do better, like you are by changing the eating habits, brushing better, flossing. It's okay, you're not too bad. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Don't be so hard on yourself. Some people's teeth are more succeptible than others. Is it possible to have the work done on her teeth in several visits? It might make it easier.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• In between meals, the snack could be apples, carrot sticks, celery sticks, pepper sticks, etc INSTEAD of high sugar food/candy. Raw fruits, vegggies are best not only for the nutrition but for the way they actually help reduce plaque because the raw food brushes up against your child's gums and teeth during the act of chewing.
    PeaceChild

Answer by PeaceChild at 11:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Ok, just for my sake...please tell me this was not a Small Smiles Dental Clinic. If it was I beg you get a second opinion. They told me my DD had 13 cavaties....13! How is this possible, so we went somewhere else...she had 1.

You are right, it is not about the material things. Brushing teeth twice a day is important! Just do better from here on out and be thankful she is healthy otherwise. Good luck.

BTW 20/20 did an expose' on small smiles...google it. You will be outraged!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• the same thing happen to me resently! :(
    i brush my daughters teeth several times a day and i dont giver her slont of treats. she is still breastfeeding too. they wanted to fill her teeth with out numbing her at all. and i was not allowed back in there with her. they said that they would just listen for a difference in her cry to tell of she is in pain. then they would stop! not ok with me. so i did some research on the whole thing. come to find out, some peoples baby teeth cavities are hereditary. some babies have "soft" teeth. and also fillings can fall out so i would do your reserch before you allow them to do any work. i decided to not do anything right now, and wait and see what happends. he teeth are not bad, in my oppinion. and as her mother i feel that having all that work done with out me there and no numbing, is not something that i feel is right. also i would not allow them to put her to sleep to do it either. GL
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010