How well do you know the families that your kids stay over night at?

Just wondering if you are satisfied knowing one parent. Do you need to meet the siblings - especially the older ones? Do you want to know background of the family? Or do you just figure your kids friend is nice and nothing could happen?

A lot of horrible things happen and I know I can be described as paranoid but I know for a fact something could have happened to my daughter once with a 17 year old boy. Plus who knows who their friends are. : P

I had a friend talk about how her dad's friend came and hid prizes in her room while she was sleeping (like beer cans) and I never wanted to stay there again because I thought he was creepy.

Sara.Robyson

Asked by Sara.Robyson at 11:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• In this day and age, I would not allow my child to sleep at anyone's house whom I did not know extremely well. I think there is simply too much risk involved, so I would err on the side of caution.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My kids never stayed at anyones house, not even family, those get togethers were always at my house under my supervision.

Answer by older at 11:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I've allowed my children to sleep over friends houses but I knew the parents. The parents that I didn't know or didn't care for, I didn't allow my children to spend the night...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My girls haven't ever stayed over with friends.. their friends always stay with us.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My kids have never and will never spend the night anywhere. The oldest is 13 and he has never had a sleep over or even a playdate at a home other than mine. My kids friends are always welcome in my home and they are satisfied with that.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:48 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My girls never stayed at anyones house, not even family. My mom never allowed it for me so i followed her with not allowing mine to do so.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I dont think I will ever let my children stay the night at anyones house unless I knew the other parent and there husband very well and I mean very well. Plus Im not so sure my children expecially my son coule ever go anywhere without getting homesick. Im a stay at home mom and will be homeschooling so Im sure they will be attached at the hip. I much rather other children stay the night with us just because I know everyone is safe.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• DD is 4 and the only person she spends the night with is her Aunt. But when she gets older, I will meet the parents, go visit them etc.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 2:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Damn..my son spends the night all the time since age 5. I am a little less worried about it. At fist I knew the family, but, now, I trust him and his instincts. I refuse to only let kids at my house and never allow him to go to others houses...I mean geeze, that is part of being a kid and a rite of passage. I refuse to live paranoid. I know my son knows when it is and is not an appropriate house to go to. He is 14 and always is invited and gets to go. Kids come to my house too and that would be super rude to not reciprocate.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have spoken to my son from the time he was five about his body and who is allowed to touch it and I have also forever met the people whose houses they have stayed at and no one of their friends was allowed at my house without me knowing their parents.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010