How to handle this with a boss?

My boss always asks me right before payday to go to lunch...I am a single mom and don't always have the funds to be going out for lunch. It gets awkward sometimes. She just asked me and I definitely don't have the money to today, so I just told her I brought...which isn't a lie cuz I have a frozen dinner in the freezer...I just wouldn't feel right telling her I am on a budget.

Spazz0828

Asked by Spazz0828 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maybe I shouldn't have but when people used to push me I would say what you did BUT when they wouldn't leave it alone I would point out that most people spend at least $10 everyday to eat out and I could do a lot at the end of the month with $200 rather than eat it. Maybe I'm too frank? : )
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would be honest if you are friends, and tell her, "I would love to go to lunch with you, except, honestly I am on a budget, and just cannot afford the lunches out. How about next time you decide to bring your lunch, we do lunch at my desk?" That way, she knows you are not just trying to avoid going out to lunch with her. Or even offer to bring a lunch for both of you to share at the office.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• why not I would just be honest. tell her that you are trying not to spend as much money eating out so you can use it for other things. There is no shame in being on a budget everyone that works for me is on a budget sometimes I ask them to lunch and they say no b/c they don't have the money and I don't even think twice about it.
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Why not? She may be on a budget also and will probably understand. When I first started my job everyone always went out to eat every day. They always asked me if I wanted something and to keep from feeling like I would look stupid I would buy something also (which I didn't have the money for). But recently we went through a really tough time and I had to start bringing my lunch and explained to my boss that I just didn't have the cash. A few things happened and shocked me.
    -She told me she understood which shocked me because she didn't strike me as the type to EVER have to worry about money - but after she explained her situation I realized she DOES! :) That made me feel so much better! :)
    -She actually started bringing her lunch more and so did my other co-workers and now we all eat together more with home made lunches than we do fast food.
    -She sometimes hosts contests for us to win a free lunch now! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'd be honest..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would also be honest and say its just not in your budget. The entire world is cutting back these days, so I think she will most definitely understand. I will say, however, that if my boss asks me to lunch, he pays or the company pays and that is understood....I'm surprised she wouldn't take care of the bill.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would have offered to bring my lunch and eaten in a park with her.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2010