How much does the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico affect you?

I have always been quite pragmatic about the world's troubles - there's nothing I can do about the earthquakes and tsunamis that plague our little blue world, and all I can do is make personal choices that I believe make the world better - but this spill is affecting me differently. I find myself feeling very emotional and it is effecting my ability to concentrate. When I am driving I will suddenly feel like I should pull over because I am suddenly gripped with rage at the fact that companies are allowed to do this.

Do you care? Does the images in this Youtube video make you cry? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDf-KkMCKQ

Or are you more of the mind that spills worse than this happen daily in the 3rd world countries that these companies operate in, that they choose to ignore the standards we have set because the laws of that country allow irresponsible practices, and this highly publicized spill is peanuts in comparison.

livewell

Asked by livewell at 12:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It will affect my trips to florida when i go on vacation... Don't guess i'll be going which is crappy...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Its happened before on padre island i think. took 2 years to clean up. they will find a way to fix it, you just have to wait.

why are you so emotional about it? not in a mean way, but if it affects your ability to concentrate and drive, you should prolly seek help.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Go to fullsize image

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Go to fullsize image

Very sad

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• @BrittanyD07 Thank you for your concern, and I would not take it the wrong way. :)

Perhaps the fact that's it's not just stupidity that caused this - it's greed. It was not an accident caused by not knowing what was needed to do it properly, it was caused by willful cutting of corners to increase profits.

As far as it happening when I drive, it's just that is when I hear it on the radio news.... :)
    livewell

Comment by livewell (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Not a bit... Yet. I'm still waiting for the lay offs in TX because of the government ban. I'm still waiting for prices of seafood and gas to go up. Still waiting.....
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think about this every single day. There are things we can do hybrid and electric cars, solar hot water and electricity. Geothermal heating and cooling, going green in your own home and voting for candidates who support alternative energy. (Not those who are in the pockets of oil companies)
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010