How do you get a very picky 3 and a half year old to take in more fiber?

my son is always getting constipated... we have taken him to the doc about it and they said it is strictly his diet that is causing it. The only veggies i can get him to eat in cooked broccoli with butter and cooked carrots, he refuses to eat any raw veggies and he refuses to eat any kind of fruit. does anyone know if there is a fiber supplement that a preschooler can take or anything that i could try?

lamom2aj

Asked by lamom2aj at 12:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I were you, I would try the Fiber Bars. There are some like Fiber Plus, that taste like Granola Bars and are truly delicious. Also, I have switched to whole wheat everything, my family did not really even notice the switch. And also, popcorn for a snack is good as it is whole grain. And maybe even try some of the whole grain cereals, they make great snacks (even dry), and I think Cheerios is whole grain, so those are really good for a snack for a little one, especially the Honey Nut, my son used to love them!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i think they make fiber gummies. i'm fixing to get some for my dd, she has the same problem.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Will he eat yogurt? My 2-year old grandson loves it. Get the Activia which has the live culture in it and is good for constipation.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We use fiber gummies, I add fiber to her shakeology, and I make sure she drinks plenty of water.

Hope that helps
    gotfavor

Answer by gotfavor at 12:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You can also try adding it in sneakier places. Shredded wheat minis come in sweet flavors that make good snacks (although I don't give them to my son for breakfast.) If he likes grilled cheese, make sure to use whole grain bread. If he likes rice, try brown rice. Use whole grain pasta. You might also tried dried fruits (ideally those without added sugar). You may have more luck with them than regular fruit. Also, make sure he drinks plenty of water. that also helps.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010