Is anyone having issues with their son having a fascination with hitler or nazi's?

my son is 14. just met someone at a party who asked me same question (his son is 13). It is a new development in last 6-8 months. Only similarities we found are video games. I've been too embarrassed to ask anyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Mine knows and has researched all about him. Although, he also knows about and researches all about MANY people and things. LOL He can tell you the names of Greek gods and Norse gods and Hindi gods...he knows about Che' Guevara and all sort of other things and issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I went through a fascination with the Holocaust at about 12. At the time I thought it came from learning about my German heritage, but now I think it's something that a lot of kids go through. It's part of learning about death and what people are capable of. We can't really process what was done until we're close to being teenagers, I suppose. Some kids will be very serious about it, and some kids will be blase. Some kids will cry when they think about it and some will laugh. I think all these things are normal reactions. Boys are curious about death, war, military operations, and power and power structures, and all of these things are learned about from studying Hitler's rise to power, the holocaust, and WWII.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We go through this, but it's with DH, lol. His Dad is from Germany, and moved back there years ago. He'll go through phases like that. Not sure why. To me it's like a train wreck. It gets worse, but you can't look away. And it seems like no matter what time I turn on the TV there is SOMETHING about Hitler or Germany. Always. But I agree with the PP, I think it's a phase, and don't worry too much about it. SS14 went through it, because he's 3/4 German and called it looking into his heritage, I'm sure our younger ones will, too.
    Ezranight

Answer by Ezranight at 12:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son went through a phase where he was obsesses with the God Father, which is also a video game.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• as long as you are finding white supremacy paraphernalia in his room..i think he just curious and probably interested...
    its an interesting subject...from many many aspects
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When I was 9 or 10 I went through that phase. I'm Scottish so it came back to heritage and local history.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010