Where's a good, cheap place to take 6 kids ages 18-7?

I have a lot of vacation time piling up at work. so I thought it would be nice to load up my kids and take them on a vacation (we haven't been on vacation in about 10 years). I'm a single mom so I need some place relatively cheap. I live in northern IL but I'd really like to go some place out of state. any ideas?

nyraerikson

Asked by nyraerikson at 12:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Travel

• Perhaps camping....look for a campground with water access sites. I live near Buffalo, but I love our trips to the Adirondack's
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• How about finding some town where there are lots of things you want to do there and stay at a camp ground for a few days. It can save a lot of money on hotels and its a very good time for kids. We just got back from camping at the camp ground for 3 days with my 15 month old and my nieces and nephews ages 13 months-12 years. They had a ball, we took out the boat, and camped and swam, and fished and went hiking. They also brought their bikes and we brought corn hole boards.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We went to Virginia Beach for a week one year. I called around and found a campsite one mile away from the beach that rented out log cabins. It really didnt cost that much and there was a lot of free live entertainment at the campsite so it was a ton of fun. We brought our bikes so we biked a few times down to the beach and spent the entire day then would come back to the cabins and get ready and go see a live band up by one of the pools at the campground. We had a great time..many wonderful memories :)
    Not too expensive either.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• mammoth cave if you guys like out doorsy things, or gatlinburg, gettysburg, hocking hills ohio, go camping somewhere, I always think of outdoor things b/c we love the out doors. Lake Erie in ohio is an amazing vacation spot. Kelly's island there is more family oriented than put in bay
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• there are sand dunes and beaches on the west side of michigan. with a couple of tents it could be pretty cheap :)
    i always thought a festival tour would be cool. they have really fun sounding ones...crawfish festival, bologna festival, watermelon festival, hot air balloon festival...
    how about virginia beach? or along north carolina's coast? a beach destination would be nice because once you are there, the entertainment is free.
    you may be able to rent a house for a week, then you can prepare your own meals and save money that way too : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• @BlainesMommy09: We never called that game that. In my family, we always said "throw washers"...because we only used a hole in the ground with a coffee can in it and some bigger, heavy washers. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• What about Gatliburg? I go there alot. YOu cna rent a cabin fairly cheap. The hiking and playing in creeks is alot of fun and free. We grocery shop when we get there and usually pack lunch meat sandwiches for the hikes and come back to the cabin and grill out for dinner. If you avoid the tourist area (rides and shopping) it is really cheap and lots of fun. YOu can hike to a waterfall and have lunch. WE pack pbj if we are eating on the hike otherwise we leave a cooler in the car and come back to vehicle for lunch.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• grand haven/south haven michigan is BEAUTIFUL
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I am not familiar with your area at all but do you have any beaches or lakes around? How about renting a place by the beach for 3-4 days? Maybe inviting another family to come along to share the expenses? That is what we did this summer and it worked out, we rented a house by the lake for 3 days, we are taking another trip this weekend, with another family.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My first thought was Cedar Pointe, but I don't know what it costs to get in now, I haven't been in a long time. I have friends that go to Holiday World in Indiana and they LOVE it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010