What to do with a 3 year old?

Me and my boyfriend are babysitting my 3 year old nephew tonight and I don't just want to sit at home, what are some fun things we can do?

Brianna-Ravae

Asked by Brianna-Ravae at 12:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• go to the park, the movies
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I always want to take him to the movies but I'm afraid that he will act up! But should I take him anyways? I mean hopefully other moms understand if he does has a temper tantrum right?
    Brianna-Ravae

Comment by Brianna-Ravae (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• go get a huge cardboard box
    pre cut door and windows
    maybe color a bit, so he knows that he can add to when he comes over
    maybe nice for him to have a comfortable little space if he is used to your home
    i assumed from your question this will be at your house

playdooh cheap and endless fun
    and in my house new playdough is always needed
    - my toddler just stopped calling it "rock" (pretty good word for it because that is what it turns to in our home
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I mean hopefully other moms understand if he does has a temper tantrum right? ....hahaha
    someother mos do, some other moms do not
    most people with no children do not, and people who have grwon children have forgotten
    my child super tantrum girl, so i get it, and i am used to it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• if you take him to a kids friendly movie such as the new toy story....then it will be full of kids.....just try to sit by the isle that way if he gets out of control or needs to potty in the middle of the movie you can get out easily....get him the biggest popcorn they have and let him have at it.....i took my 3 year old son to see it and he was fine....took him ptty b4 it started got him a big pop corn and drink...and he was fine towards the end he was getting antsy and wanted to sit in my lap instead of his chair but all in all it was fine....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 12:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My nephew just gets bored VERY easily, I am afraid we will pay all that money to see the movie and he will throw a temper tantrum after a hour or so of the movie.
    Brianna-Ravae

Comment by Brianna-Ravae (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't take a 3 year old to the movies. He probably doesn't have the attention span needed and will want to run and play. Also, bedtime for a 3 year old is pretty early. He's bound to be getting tired and cranky. I would plan something fun at home.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i wouldn't take him if it's after 5pm...i have a 3yr old and if i take him it's during the day, just in case he a) doesn't like the movie and gets restless b) gets too scared of a movie and freaks out. people don't like being interupted in a movie. but things you can do, get a piece of cardboard, put holes in it with a hole puncher, let him use a shoelace to lace it. my son's doing that right now. got music? dance! if you have ribbons, call it ribbon dancing. play play dough. OR instead of taking him to a movie, why not rent one? if he's allowed popcorn, just curl up on the couch for a bit, eat and watch it. you can also color coloring books, or get a big poster and let him draw on that.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My DS is 3 & loves the movie "Night at the museum" with Ben Stiller. You could rent that movie if he hasn't seen it yet. First I would take a long walk with him maybe at the park. Then get some snacks that he likes and get comfy for the movie and have some of his cars/truck toys so he can play while he watches. You could also put on the sprinkler outside before it gets dark and let him run through it! I wouldn't take my DS to a movie at a theater yet, he would only last about 20 minutes. He just likes play & watch a movie at night. Also he loves the movie "Over the Hedge". It's all animals and has the voices of a lot of famous actors like Bruce Willis.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• McDonald's PlayPlace or Chucky Cheese? If it's early enough maybe take him to a park or playground?
    Fl123

Answer by Fl123 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010