Babyfood

So I always see all of these other moms saying that you don't need pureed babyfood. Just mash stuff up and the baby will be able to eat it just fine. DD has been eating babyfood for about a month now and does really good with it. So I've been trying to mash up stuff and give her. And everytime I do she gags and vomits. I bascially have to puree it or she does that. Anyone else have this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's the texture more than likely. I always put it in the blender until she was older.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She just isn't able to eat things that aren't pureed yet. Make sure you either puree it or give her regular baby food, sounds like she is getting choked.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree, it's probably the texture. Go back to puree and re-introduce regular mashed in a month or so.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I did that for my four month old since she was allergic to one of the ingredients in the baby food. That's when I thought it's best to start making it myself using a mini food processor. It doesn't take any time at all.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• How old is she...maybe wait a bit and reintroduce later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• when they first start eating solids any baby will gag. its just a normal reaction. b.c. they arent used to it. but i would suggest starting out with the food really thin. and fed with a spoon and gradually making it thicker day by day. my child started eating solids the day i brought her home from the hospital so by time she was just a month she was eating real baby food like it was nothing.
    inkedmommy1414

Answer by inkedmommy1414 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Age and readiness matter. Gagging is an inborn reflex to keep solids out untill digestive and developmental maturity. Spoon feeding purees bypasses this failsafe. Babies 6 moths and older start to lose this reflex. And in addition babies who self feed or aren't spoon fed, but fed by hand or allowed to feed themselves by hand or given a loaded spoon to self feed gag less because the control the food. Babies who are spoon fed haven't learned their limit and their reflex gets triggered by the spoon because they are used to sucking food, not manipulating it. Watch your baby's mouth. If you can see tongue manipulation of food and chewing mimicry after giving a morsel. that is good.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yes my daughter does fine with baby food and when i give her like the 3rd foods or gerber graduates she gags spits it out...so frustrating...have even tried table food as well same thing...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with all the others - go back to purees and try mashed, textured foods again in a month or so.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Stick with the purees. Try the mashed things again in a month. She isnt quite ready yet :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010