What do I do with my dog?

My chocolate lab, Macey, is the most wonderful, loving dog in the world.......with one exception. She HATES my neighbor. Every time he is out, she runs to the fence barking and acting like she is going to chew him apart. He is the ONLY person she does this to. One of our other neighbors has two autistic children, and she loves them. They ride on her back like she is a horse! Macey loves everyone......except this specific neighbor. She even likes his wife. He went off the deep end on me last summer and started screaming at me because of her. What should I do? I can't keep her in the house all summer.

Jakesmom623

Asked by Jakesmom623 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly, I don't know what to do, but if you have a fence and you know she can't get to him, then I would not keep her in all the time. Maybe let her out when he is at work?
    Also, if I were you, I would probably be wondering why she disliked him so much!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think the neighbor will just have to get over it. Maybe you could giv eyour neighbor some treats and see if he can feed the dog ofer the fence and bond with her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Your neighbor may have done something to her, if he went off on you, I imagine it is entirely possible that he has done something to scare her and that is why she has the reaction she does when she sees him. However, from a training aspect, you do need to work with her on a leave it command, so you can call her off when she is that focused on ANYTHING. You can get a trainer to come work with you on it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• usually when dogs dont like specific people like that there is a good reason. i wouldnt worry about doing anything about it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We have two lab mixes (male & female) and they love everybody except the lady who lives downstairs. I know why they don't like her, it's because I caught her teasing them on the sly (when they were puppies & we let them out to potty, she would yell "boo!" out the window where they couldn't see her, scaring them). I told her why they get vicious when they see her (we're talking teeth on glass trying to get through the window at her) and you know what? She still teases them when she thinks we're not looking. She is purposefully antagonizing the dogs, yet in the same breath will complain that they scare her! Maybe your neighbor did something to your dog, too, that she refuses to forgive him for or that he keeps doing behind your back? Dogs know when people are bad, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I totally agree with you all. I think he has done something to her when I wasn't looking. We do have a fenced yard, but she can jump the fence if she wanted to (she is 100 lbs.......she is a big girl). However, I think she is just protecting herself and her yard. She has never even acted like she was going to jump the fence after him. My dad always told me that animals are a good judge of character......if you see someone that an animal doesn't like, you should consider staying away from them.
    Jakesmom623

Comment by Jakesmom623 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Dogs are a very good judge of character. I would be trying to keep a close eye on her. Maybe he's done something to her or he's scared of her and she knows it.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 12:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Make sure she is trapped in the yard and can't get out- just to protect yourself from any liability. Other than that, heed your dogs instincts and avoid that man!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 10:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'd be careful. If the dog can jump the fence like you say, you could be seriously leaving yourself open to a lawsuit leaving her out there unattended. Especially if you suspect your neighbor has been taunting the dog. All it takes is for him to taunt her and her to launch over that fence and you've got a HUGE problem on your hands that YOU are liable for. I wouldn't risk leaving the dog out there alone anymore. It's not a good idea anyway and under your cicumstances it's just foolish. Going out with your dog will keep your dog from being taunted, your neighbor safe and you from being sued if comes to that. It really shouldn't be a huge imposition to monitor your own dog outside.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I'd be curious as to why she doesn't like him.. I've heard that dogs are good judges of character so why doesn't your dog, who likes EVERYONE else, like him??

Does he work during the day or part of the evening so that you can let her out then? If you have a fenced yard, I honestly don't think that there's a problem and if he doesn't like it, he needs to deal bc it's not likely to change any time soon and you don't control who your dog likes and doesn't like..
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 4:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2010