How long did it take to potty train your son/daughter?

I've been working with my son for awhile now. He is 4. He wears pullups during the night & has been waking up dry for over a week now. He uses normal underwear during the day & has an occasional accident. And for the first time last night, he woke up & went into the bathroom himself & went right back to bed. Usually if he wakes for anything, he comes downstairs looking for me. I'm so proud of him. It's taking some time, but he's making good progress.

mom_to_a_angel

Asked by mom_to_a_angel at 12:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nice! Good for him! We are still in the process of potty training a little girl here at daycare. She hasn't completely decided its time to be done with the diapers yet. Slow and steady wins the race!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• it only took a week for day time and about a month for night.. my dd was easy
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• during the day: 2 weeks at 24 months but at 3 years, I still have to tell her to go if she gets busy playing.

during the night: it was 6 months after day training before we did away with the pull ups at night.

She still has the occasional accident and it's usually when she gets to playing and it's too late by the time she makes it to the bathroom. It's just wet pants not a puddle though
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Congrads! It took me about 3months to completely potty train my son
    ajmfmommy

Answer by ajmfmommy at 12:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• a couple weeks. she was 2 1/2 and once she started to get the hang of it she really liked it. she felt like a big girl! she hasnt worn pull ups, even to bed, in almost a year. she is almost 3 1/2
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 and we have tried to start potty training, but he isn't ready yet.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My first son was like yours.It took a long time.but my youngest hated his diaper being wet and would take it off on his own.so he was very easy.I wouldn't worry as long as you make progress.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son loves that he can wear the big boy underwear during the day. Everytime after he goes to the bathroom, I give him lots of praise & so does my husband. I think that's what is helping him out too. He still has a little bit of an issue doing #2. Ever since he was a baby, he's had constipation issues. They thankfully cleared up alot, it just affects him sometimes.
    mom_to_a_angel

Comment by mom_to_a_angel (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My oldest dd was 2 1/2 and she figured it out in one day. Once she peed on the potty, that was the end of diapers, during the day. She didn't want or need them anymore. Night was a little longer. My DS, so much longer!! He was close the 3 when he learned about peeing, but at 4, I still have to get on to him when he has to poop. I don't know why he won't go to the potty when he feels the urge. He just runs the other way. My baby is 16 months and she is interested in the potty. I think she will be pretty easy.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• For my oldest dd, it took about a month of intensive training. I started introducing the concept when she was 2. I was pregnant and having a difficulties and didn't stress over potty training with her. But when the baby was three months old (double the diapers!) and dd had started sleeping through the night dry, I stepped the pace of training. It took a good month of taking her to the potty every half hour for her to learn when she needed to go. She's 3 now and the baby is now 1, so I'll be doing this all over again soon. :)

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:02 AM on Jul. 9, 2010