Why is it I can go to a food bank when we have no food no questions asked but I can't get any kind of gov't assistance?

It's not fair! And don't give me the 'lifes not fair' crap! I am working my butt off. I work my job DH works his job we can't keep up for anything but all we qualify for is WIC and don't get me wrong that really helps but I mean geez! We are drowning and trying. I can't seem to get things in order no matter what I do things get worse. I can't fix it. I can't make it better. I can only do what I am already doing. Maybe I should just quit my job but I don't want to be that kind of person. I like my job but it's just not working. Why can't I get any help. I hate my income. You would think 36,00o a year for a family of 4 would be low enough to get a little something more than WIC since we are trying. Wouldn't you?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• op....i know exactly how you feel!.....i would think you should be able to qualify for food stamps at least (prob not much, but every little bit helps!)

xxlilmomma09......not sure where in tx you are but where we are 36k in NOOOOOOOT great money!!!!!.......dh makes a little more than that....we qualify for food stamps (are not currently getting them) and we are stuck livinf with my mother because we can't afford anything around here!....a 2 bedroom apartment is $900/mo!!!!!
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 5:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I't s because most food banks are community funded and not government funded. A community would rather help you out than to ask the government for more money for this stuff.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Where do you live? 36,000 a year here where I live in Texas is GREAT money!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That's what we live on... (Less actually) and have been for the last several years NO PA, food banks, Food Stamps, etc. I'm a SAH, homeschooling, Mom and our only income is what my husband makes. Do you have high debt? Credit cards? Loans? etc. If so that's what's "eaten" your money. I would everything you can to reduce your debt and buy only with cash. Have you heard of Dave Ramsey? I know cost of living has to do with everything, but I have friends that live here in IL and that have relatives in GA. (Not sure if that's the same area as GA as you, but I have been given the impression that the cost of living is very similar from my friends and their relatives). Do you have a budget? Do you stick with it? I know it's not easy, but assuming the cost of living isn't outrageous I know it can be done on that income.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm sorry I know the frustration. I often get told I don't qualify because we are like anywhere from $4 over the income limit to $117 over. It is annoying.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i'm sorry. things are TIGHT here too. part of our problem is dh is too proud to get on food stamps, but it's coming down to feeding our dd, not his stupid pride. you fall right in the middle of getting help and being able to make ends meet. it's tough, i know, but you will make it!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm sorry. We are in the same boat. We both work so hard yet there are a couple of families that I know that have been on state aid for over 15 years without a break and they all have name brand clothes, cell phones, and smoke. How can they afford those things?
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 12:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That sucks if it's your mortgage is dragging you down..... Have you consider selling just to get out from under it? Or are you upside down on the house? (Upside down meaning you owe more then it's worth). I know I wouldn't want to sell my home, but I would if push came to shove and I needed to do something to make my monthly bills more affordable.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Freakin' Gwinnett county Ga.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• YOu know we were fine a couple of years ago when we made 53,000. It wasn't awesome but we had enough. NOw I just can't seem to make it stretch and there is nothing to help. Believe me I have called everyone. My county is so big DFACS doesn't even answer the phone! It's automated. We have no water in our house until I can pay them on Friday and then it won't be back on until Monday. That's 6 days no water for my family because it's no same day service even if I paid at 8 am.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010