So, have you heard about this?

Who has heard about the Niger Delta, and all of the oil spills going on there? There is equivalent of an Exxon Valdez every single year, and it has been this way for decades!!! Most of the damage (spills) is blamed on sabotage.... The people in this area are way worse off then WE are, they are far more devastated than WE are, yet the world is pretty much unaware of their plight! Yeah, what is going on in the gulf is tragic, but what is going on there is reprehensible beyond words! Where is the outrage about this? Where is the media? The celebrities with their benefits and telethons? Where are the boycotts?

If you care to find out anything about this, just google "oil spill Niger Delta" and you can find tons of links about it. And, it is not just one company working there, it is all of them. So, which company are you going to boycott over their attitude about the Niger Delta?

29again

Asked by 29again at 12:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm guessing its the LOCATION....the reason there is no outrage....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's sad, 29again. Really, really sad.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That is kind of what I thought too. I think that I am more upset about this than about the Gulf. WE will make sure that those responsible will do the right thing and clean it up, but they aren't doing that over there! I just heard about this the other day, and I had to check out what was out there, and it isn't pretty. It is way worse than the Gulf, and this is Shell, Mobile, Chevron, all of them. And, it has been going on for like 50 years!!!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The government has threatened Exxon Mobil with sanctions if the corporation fails to manage spills properly, according to Agence France-Presse.  It hasn’t been determined what the sanctions would entail.

Previous attempts by Nigerians to attain damages against oil companies have been mostly unsuccessful.

Idris Musa, head of Nigeria’s oil spill response agency, said an additional 2,405 spills by all major oil companies in the region have occurred since 2006.

Why aren't they doing anything?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I also wonder why it took a major spill here to bring this situation to the world's attention.....
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

It seems the Nigerian government should have done something by now...It would seem some PALMS are being GREASED! PUN intended...There is NO WAY its gone on THIS long and they aren't being BRIBED to let it alone

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Sweet, I really have to agree with you on this. Someone is getting very wealthy off of this, and it is NOT the poor village folk! I'm just flabbergasted by this! Call me naive, but STILL! This blows my mind!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Obviously the Nigerian government doesn't care enough to do anything. The regulations are more lax. Thats why all of our rigs will be going away within 6 months if the ban isn't lifted.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• do you know there are up to 27,000 abandoned oil wells, some of which may be leaking, in the gulf...completely unsupervised.

I can't even wrap my head around all of this.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I can't even wrap my head around all of this.
    ---------
    Nor can I!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010