How do I get the darn bird to talk?

I'm a sucker. I bought my kids a quaker parrot. He was only 6 months old when we got him so he'd be about a year old now. He will sqwuak at my husband and occasionally says Hello.

Nindy

Asked by Nindy at 12:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Just keep talking to it and repeating.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You just have to keep repeating yourself. So don't be surprised if it picks up phrases like "Don't touch that." "knock it off" "clean this mess up" and your kids names.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• you have to spend alot of time with the bird. it's good that he'll say hello..... it takes years, not months
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• just make it a part of your family. Let it hang in a room where you all gather and speak.
    DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 3:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We are really working on it. He will whine like the dog now too. He does this to get my son to come get him out of the cage. He did tell me know once when I tried to empty his food dish.
    Nindy

Comment by Nindy (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010