Scared of first grade teacher?

I got my DDs class assignment for next year. Our school has had a male kindergarten teacher for the past two years and he has been moved up to first grade for next year. My DD has been put in his class. My neighbor has tons of positive things to say about the teacher, as both her children had him for kindergarten. He is young and full of energy and she said her kids had a blast and learned a ton. The PTA moms seem to like him too.

I told my DD she was going to have this teacher and she freaked out and not in a good way. She said that she thinks this teacher is scary, mean, and hates kids. Her kindergarten class was in a different wing from "Mr. A." so I doubt she interacted with him much. However, this level of fear concerns me. Should I ask for a switch (which I don't want, he sounds awesome) or should I find a way to ease her fear. The kids next door tell DD she is so lucky to have Mr. A. I hope that helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make arrangements with the school and this teacher for a "meet and greet" BEFORE school begins! Teachers will be back and setting up their classrooms about a week or so before the first day of school. MOST teachers of younger grade students are happy to meet their students ahead of time to help alleviate any fears they may have.

You might also want to see if your daughters teacher has any class information, as well as biography on the school website. Sometimes seeing the fun the last class had, will help get kids to see that the teacher isn't as "scary" as they thought.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I htink you should go to the open house and let him know that she is scared. If you have a chance to meet him before school starts then take advantage of it. I wouldnt switch teachers part of life is learning to overcome fears. My dd was scared of hte 2nd grade teacher and had heard how mean she was. She was strict but the year ended up fine!! She laughs now about how she used to be scared of Ms. Z.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't switch. Unless later on there is a problem like she doesn't get over her fear of him, or he really turns out to be bad there is no reason to switch. This is probably more of a fear of the unknown anxiety thing, than fear of the teacher thing. Keep an eye out for anxiety symptoms in her too. People don't think little kids get anxiety issues but they can. Mine started at that age and if I had gotten treatment then my life would have been so different.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Does this teacher hold a back to school night? If so, maybe it will ease her fear. Our first grade teachers in my school always do a back to school night so that the kids and parents can come in and meet the teacher.

Has your daughter told you exactly what the teacher did to scare her? Maybe she heard him yelling at someone? We had a boy doing some really bad things at school one day (in the boys bathroom) so our only male teacher had to go in there and do a little yelling...after that I overheard some kids talking about how mean that teacher was.

I guess if she's really scared of him, you should ask for the transfer so that she's not anxious about the school year. Or, could you ask her to try it out for a week and then if she still is scared, then ask for the transfer?

I hope all turns out well for you and your DD!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I definitely wouldn't switch without getting to the bottom of her fear. Does she have a playmate who's afraid of her? Ask her lots of questions and find out just what she's heard about him. Of course, in today's day and age there is always that nagging little suspicion in the back of your mind about people, like what if he really did something aweful to some kid? But you have no reason to believe that.

I would say, if she's just been influenced by another kid, it would be GOOD for her to give this teacher a chance. Ironically, some of the best teachers are those who's students fear them at the beginning of the year! I know most of my dearest teachers I hated to begin with!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Upon entering her 1st grade year, my daughter was adimant that she didn't want Mrs. SO&SO to be her teacher. When I asked her why, she said it was because the teacher was mean, assigned a lot of homework, and yelled @ the students. When I asked how she knew that, she said its because a neighbor girl had had her the year before & didn't like her. My daughter didn't like a teacher because of what another student who may not have been a good student...if everyone else has good things to say, then I'd go with them before what my daughters THINKS about the teacher.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 5:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Find out why she is saying these things. Maybe she has just heard from other people what he's like, or seen him once or twice and made judgments based on that. If her opinions are based on something like this, I wouldn't consider switching. Then, like others have said, see if she can meet him ahead of time.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 7:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• First grade is different from Kindergarten. He may do better as a First grade teacher. The children are a little older. She should at least see if it works out. I had that said to me when I wanted to transfer one of my kids out of a specific class.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010