Saving money: spa-feel on a beer-budget

Hi all,

So... like many of you moms out there, I feel overworked and underpaid. I am in need of a haircut, my poor feet are screaming for love, and my nails... well, they have seen better days.

What do you do to save money? I am no stylist, so cutting my own hair is out of the question, but what about highlight kits? Going to the dollar store to buy nail products?

I am not saying everything needs to scrape the bottom of the barrel, but what are some of your low-budget soul-replenishing ideas for those days you just need a lift?

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 12:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I put generic vic vapor rub on my feet an put on socks to sleep. It feels good and is warming and makes feet softer.

I wax my own eye brows but i just go to salon for cuts and color.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Homemade Face mask - using avocados, honey and yogurt. Mix all three together in a bowl and then let sit on face for 20minutes.
    geminy22

Answer by geminy22 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I do my own mani/pedis in the bathroom, and now that my dd is older, I do hers as well. At home deep conditioners & masks. Look for a beauty school/massage school in your area...a lot of times you can get great work done for way below the salon price. I found my last hair girl at the beauty school and I followed her around for three years until she moved to another state. She charged me $10 for a good hair cut and $40 for color and high lights - plus she would always do my waxes free if I got it done the same time as my hair. If you find someone you like, you can often times help them get their business going by referring them to your friends. I miss my hair girl and need to find another one!!
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 2:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Geminy22... how much of what do you use? Is it the regular non-flavored yogurt?

What about going to the local beauty schools? We have one near my house called Vogue.

I've thought too about doing a product swap party. For example... I've got some nice styling products I can't use because I am allergic to citrus, and sometimes the content can just set my skin over the edge (I break out in rashes and hives); I've seen it done for other things-- anyone tried a salon swap?
    OmbreGracieuse

Comment by OmbreGracieuse (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• mybratsmom... so funny, I just asked about the local colleges! lol

Do a lot of salons do referrals? I mean, I can send some referrals out, I just didnt know if salons really took some of the price off for things like that.

There is a place by my house that sends our coupons called Great Clips, and some of them are for as little as $8 a haircut.

I don't know about anything else outside of hair, though.
    OmbreGracieuse

Comment by OmbreGracieuse (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010