Is anyone having trouble with their son being obsessed with the natzi's?

My son is 14. He wants a book called Mein Kampf. Has changed the screeensaver on computer to nazi symbol. Talks about how great of a man hiltler was. Has alot of hatred towards Jews, mexicans, and african americans. All new within the last 6-8 months. Prior to that had no hatred. Met someone at a party across the country who's 13 year old son has displayed the same behaviors in last 6-8 months as well. ie hatred and wants the mein kampf book.

christine935

Asked by christine935 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Whoa! You seriously need to take away his computer priviliges and find out if this was a friend that got these crazy ideas into his head! I'd be looking into counseling

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Honestly, as a stupid teen, I went through a Nazi and Charles Manson phase. My parents simply ignored it and I outgrew it. I would be more concerned with his peers finding out he was "white power" and possibly hurting him.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Oh wow - I would try to nip this fast...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Met someone at a party across the country who's 13 year old son has displayed the same behaviors

***
    Time to rid your son of this "friend," and get him involved with POSITIVE friends, groups and activities that do not promote or encourage stupidity!! :o) If your son has misplaced anger towards people and things he knows NOTHING about, seeing a child psychologist might be in order!!

Teens are HEAVILY influenced by wanton behavior and beliefs when they are struggling to find an identity for themselves. Ironically they tend to find themselves in OTHERS beliefs. Have him research Hitler and the Nazi Party from the TRUE and NEGATIVE aspects. Read passages to him, and see how he feels when he's not getting the "hatred-filled" version!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• all my guy friends went through that "skin head" stage..but they never showed hated towards anyone. I would let him take interest in it if he likes and maybe you take interest in it with him. Show him what a mean, hateful person hitler was. I don't really think he would want to idolize him.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Make him watch "American History X". And watch it with him and discuss it.

"Talks about how great of a man Hitler was. Has alot of hatred towards Jews, Mexicans, and African Americans" This is the part that bothers me. Also, maybe he was bullied by kids of another race recently. This may have exacerbated a normal occurrence in teen boyhood.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mein Kampf is actually a very pleasant book. It made me cry. I think it is about heritage and not about hatred. My only son has a not for profit "CPS Nazi"
    Adulun6

Answer by Adulun6 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Does he even KNOW what Nazis did? Will you tell him or show him that they killed millions of innocent people in Europe. Not only Jews but people who were against the Nazi Regime? Will you inform him? I would and if hedoesn't beleive you or if he doesn't care , find photos of the people in Concentration camps who were starved or gassed or used as Medical experiments.... This might not be a passing phase and he needs help.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That doesn't sound normal to me. Have him watch Shindlers List, It was a very disturbing movie about how brutal Hitler and the natzis were to the Jews. It is one of the movies that I ever cried during.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I also just read a book titled Sarah's Key, it was about a round up of families with children between the ages of 2-12. It took place in 1942 where over 4,000 children were gassed and their parents. I'm sure you can get info on the internet about the round up in France in 1942 and show it to him.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010