What has been the most creative way you have saved money?

With the economy being what it is, everyone is looking for ways to save money. What are some of the ways you and your family have saved?

mommy11260

Asked by mommy11260 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We've been actively reducing our debt. We started in Nov 2008. We've have already removed over $14,000 in credit card debt and have been credit card FREE for the last 3 months. Currently we are working on a $3,000 loan and that will be HOPEFULLY gone this Dec/Jan. After that the only debt we'll have is our one car and home. In addition to reducing our debt we have been actively saving $100-$300 every month (most months $200). This has been accomplished by a STRICT CASH (real cash) ONLY budget. On pay day I withdrawal x amount for food, non food, gas, etc. Once that money is gone it's gone! In order for the kids to feel like we have a life we go to free concerts, free bowling, free skating, museums on free days. We go to movies at a discounted price and skip the concessions) (Our local theaters have a $5 days). We've had a activity to do everyday....all FREE. Just takes some planning and combing the paper for events.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• not eating out and acting like we dont have money it works for us
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 1:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm going to try that starestrada! lol.. I have a rough time saving, but I need to!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• saving our change in our coffee tins and cashing them in every six months. We just cashed in this weekend and has 290.00 dollars =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• this will sound silly, and it takes place over a years time, but my mom's bestfriend and her husband do this...
    (you have to keep a checkbook though)
    whenever they write down a purchase in their checkbook, the round up to the nearest dollar...EVERY time. and at the end of the year, they have a bunch of money left over, which they normally use for christmas...BUT, it can be banked away too, I think it's a very cool, creative way to have some extra cash at the end of the year to stash away.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• that was actually less than 6 months too..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We currently do the change in the coffee can and we round up our checkbook purchases. Something else that I have done, is I found a great "copycat" website, so I learned to make a lot of our favorites from restaraunts at home.
    mommy11260

Comment by mommy11260 (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I cut up my debit lol, seriously I used that thing way TOO much. My husband and I have a joint account so he has his still, we usually always go out together so I really didn't need one. The times I went out on my own with my daughter I would swipe, swipe away!
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 1:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010