If you've had a c-section, help me!

I'm due with my second baby in 7 weeks. My first birth was vaginal and went great. Unfortunately my placenta is low and it's looking like I'm going to have to schedule a c-section. I'm nervous! I want to know other mom's experiences. How long did you stay in the hospital? What is the recovery like? When I get home from the hospital will I be able to still pick up my 17 month old? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks so much!!

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• First of all, stop worrying! I worried to death for NOTHING! I literally felt hardly any pain at all, from before procedure until I was fully healed. I was up walking the first night. Don't get me wrong, you'll be really sore the first couple of days. It'll feel like you just did 10,000 sit-ups, but when you're lying down or still it shouldn't hurt at all. The incision is actually a lot smaller than you'd think. I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights. Within a week of surgery, I hardly even felt sore. Within two weeks I felt like I'd never had surgery. B est of luck and if you have any other questions or worries, feel free to message me. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I had a C-Section delivery with my son. I was in the hospital 2 days following my section. Honestly, the second was because my son was having to stay, so my doctor kept me on another day. My husband stayed home with me for one week, and during that week I would not really have been able to lift anything over like 10 lbs. But, I used that week to get up and moving, and by the time he went back to work, I took care of everything. Getting up with our dear son, housework, everything. And, I even took laundry back and forth to the quick wash, so I could lift a little after the first week, lol.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I had a c-section with my 2nd too. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I was up and walking around that same evening. I did experience a severe pain in my shoulder and neck and it lasted for about 3 weeks. The doctor said it may have been caused from all the tugging and pulling that they do during the surgery.
    I was able to breast feed our daughter about 6 hours after she was born. Which was a little disheartening. I was just so out of it from the spinal and the pain meds that I couldnt do it right away like I wanted to.My dh made sure noone else but him held her before me,lol..I don't know why..but it was important to me that I got to hold her before any other family.
    After I came home, I was alone with her because dh went back to work. I pretty much stayed in our bedroom, kept the bassinet up there and dh made sure I had everything I needed b4 he left for work so I didnt have to go downstairs too much.Felt pretty good in wk
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The c-section went great. I remember being in alot of pain right afterwards and spent 3 days in the hospital after the c-section. I had a really hard time laying on right side for several weeks or I would get this intense burning/tearing sensation on the right side of the incision. about 4 weeks after the c-section I slept on my right side and the incision split open, which took about another 6 weeks to completely heal. It was difficult to walk for a few weeks too but that got better. I doubt you will be about to pick up your 17 month of for at least 6 weeks or until the incision is healed.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Oh, and I forgot. I recommend bringing some really high-wasted, big underwear to the hospital, lol. You won't want anything laying on your incision, so also try to wear only loose stretchy pants or nightgowns. Another thing...if they don't give them to you automatically, ask for stool softeners from the beginning. As much as I hated to ask for them, I did NOT want to use my stomach muscles to poop,lol, and you tend to get constipated from all of the pain meds and the surgery itself. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have had 2 c-sections.
    I fully understand your worries and your fears about having one. The first one I was terrified. I'd never had surgery of any kind before and I had never had to stay in the hospital before, I had no idea what to expect and I was scared.

My second one I was pretty relaxed and actually had a really good time. It sounds weird but it was kind of fun. I had a good crew of nurses and an awesome doctor.

You'll go in and get prepped. If it's the same where you are as it is here, you'll go in before your husband is allowed in, for your epidural and to get the catheter put in and your IV hooked up.
    The surgery itself takes maybe 15-20 minutes. There's no pain, just pressure.

Recovery takes longer with a c-section than with a vaginal delivery but it's not all that bad. I had a 2.5 year old when I had my second baby and I was nervous about not being able to life him too.
    I found ways around it...cont'd
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My scar recently busted open when i was in the psych ward. It bled and I was really upset.
    After 3 c-sections, I feel like a pro,
    but it wasn't like that when this trouble began.
    I hurt sooo bad and new I couldn't do all the things I would have likes to do with my girls.
    My son takes it slow.
    Sometimes my Kimmy thinks its her fault...but its not.
    My mom never regrets telling me to have an abortion, and I agree...I could have died back then.
    My daughter Victoria Lynn was vaginal; but she's in fauster care.
    My little bumble bee fixed it all up for me.

See, if you have a c-section once, you probably will again.
    It is scary-but it;s worth it/\
    Just wait until you look into those little eyes!
    Adulun6

Answer by Adulun6 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I stayed in the hospital for 3 days, that's including the day i had them. the recovery is ok, you can't have solid food until your stomach growls and you have gas, until then you're on a liquid diet, then a solid liquid diet. make sure someone is in the room with you when you have the baby, you won't be able to get up right away to get him if he starts crying or something happens. If i was in the room myself i'd have the nurse take him for me, unless dh just went out just for a minute, then i'd just hold him for those few minutes. no, you can't pick up your oldest, not for a few weeks anyway. at least i strongly advise against it. you may feel like you can physically, but don't, you're liable to rip some stitches. you'll have them internal and external, external may heal faster than internal, or vise versa. when you get up from bed, use a pillow to push on your stomach, if you don't it will hurt like heck.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well good luck, Maybe you will not have to have one, I had a Section with my first, I was in the hospital for 4 days total, I recovered very fast, and I had no issues carrying anything around when I got home, That being said I am a very stubborn do it yourself kind of person that is known to have a high tolerance threshold, and everyone deals with pain differently.
    Key thing to remember is STOP stressing, you will only make yourself miserable and sick, just relax and go with the flow, you will be okay, you just need to be a bit more careful in how you do things when you get home!
    Armygrl1

Answer by Armygrl1 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have had 3 c-sections. With all 3 I was in the hospitial about 3 days. With my first section they took my staples out before I came home which was great but with my other 2 they didn't and it wasn't a picnic trying to roll over without pain from the staples pulling is a nightmare. I'm not sugar coating it by any means. As far as picking up your 17 month old, not for the first few weeks, but you can have the little one come snuggle with you on the couch or in bed, so that he/she doesn't feel left out. After my first few weeks I was back to normal, well except all the stretch marks and bigger boobs and all, but was back to doing my house work and all. The operating room if in a big enough haopitial will have enough room for the docs, the nurses and your baby. When I had my first we were in a tiny hosp. so they took her out of the room, with my last he was right there close enough for me to touch!! LOL! Pm me if you want! GL!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 1:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010