Things got a little hectic today, and my middle baby stole an extra half dose of vitamins.

They are the gummy kind... she's three, large, and had a third gummy...

should I be freaking out and calling poison control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Only two extra gummy vitamins? She'll be fine! Now would be a good time to make sure ALL of your medications--over-the-counter or prescription are securely locked away, hidden, or out-of-reach. This is precisely WHY I never liked character vitamins/medicines. Making these things too "toddler friendly" is a recipe for disaster.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son ate TWENTY THREE of those gummi vitamins when he was 7.I FREAKED OUT and called poison control.They had me read the ingrediants and how much of each type of vitamin was in them. They were mainly concerned with the amount of iron because they can overdose on that. But the amount was fine..he was fine..and I kept the vitamins locked up in a high place from then on,lol.
    I think your child should be fine with only half a dose extra.
    LOL...But it is scary, isnt it?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think she will be fine! Mine have snuck them little suckers before! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She's fine :)
    brittanyjo85

Answer by brittanyjo85 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son ate his two scooby gummies and then snuck into the pill drawer at my aunts and took a big bite out of an adult vitamin. He had bad breath for a few hours but he was fine, I wouldn't worry about it, unless she starts throwing up which I doubt will happen.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 1:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• on the gummy i have (daughter is three)
    soon she would be taking two anyway
    i would not freak over three in a child this size
    try to water it down with water, she needs extra water anyway on a hot day
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When I was about 9 I ate more than a handful of baby aspirin..they were pink and TASTY! lol...

I never told anyone, and My Mom-Mom started yelling later...WHY are there only a few baby aspirins left! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• the big concern would be if she got ones with iron in them. most vitamins are water soluable and any excess with flush out in the urine. fat soluable vitamins include a,k,e,& d . all can cause issues in large doses but 1 extra is not going to hurt. i knew a teenager who got ahold of his siblings gummy vitamins with iron and ate the whole thing. he has to have his stomach pumped. it takes all kinds.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No, it was just one gummy...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 1 extra is no problem, the entire bottle is a big problem especially with the ones that have iron in them. I'm iron intolerant so I have to search hard for vitamins with out the iron.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010