Were your contractions "regular" in early labor?

I am 38weeks3 days pregnant, and have been contracting off and on since saturday. on saturday, they were pretty consistantly every 20 min for 14 hours, then stopped, sunday i had some here and there but nothing regular, same w monday and yesterday.

Today, i have been contracting since about 7am(pacific time) and now still going, and i have had 5 in the last half hour or so. BUT, they have gone from 4min, to 9, 6, 4, and not been consistant.

i was told to call when they were about 8 min apart for at least an hour, but what if they never get regular like that? i have heard that some women dont get them regularaly even right up till delivery.

what was your experience?

erika_wright

Asked by erika_wright at 1:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had irregular contractions for about 2 days. Then they finally were 5 minutes apart consistently. That is when I went to the hospital. Good luck!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mine were regular. I was getting them the night before i was induced. They still induced me to speed em up and make them harder. Mine were 5 min apart. If they get to the point where you cant talk through them, its time to go in :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Mine started @ 12:00pm one day and got progressively worse and the doctor decided I needed Pitocin for whatever reason and I had my son at 7:01pm. So, I still don't know why I got Pitocin. Mine were regular from the start and never let up ever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Sounds like Braxton Hicks to me.. Irregular contractions are painful and are no cause to rush to the hospital. I would wait until they are in a consistent, regular pattern before contacting your doctor.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• They will be very irregular in the beginning and then when you get to about 3-4 min apart head over to you care provider GOOD LUCK!!!
    lillyjohnson11

Answer by lillyjohnson11 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010