If I pump to increase milk production, can I feed the extra milk to my 3 year old?

I am going to have my baby in 3 weeks and I plan on pumping after my milk comes in on the oposite side that I am feeding in order to increase my milk supply. Is it good for my 3 year old? Does it have the same protective bennifits for him?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That would be fine for your 3 year old! You want to watch out for bringing in too much milk. It can cause a lot of problems for mom and baby. Take a look at the info here: Oversupply

The best way to increase your supply is to nurse more frequently. Take a look at some of the pros and cons of pumping to increase supply at Why (and Why Not) to Pump

My advice would be to exclusively breastfeed for the first 3-6 weeks, and then just pump once or twice a day.  If you pump one side and nurse on the other first thing in the morning that may get you most of what you need!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You can absolutely feed it to your 3 year old.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• of course...it is good for anybody. That would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone. :) (or feed two little ones with one body)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Im sure its better than milk that has pesticides & other un-natural items in it! I am a surogate & plan to pump once I give birth & will be giving extra milk to my son who will be almost 2 at the time!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I thought I was the only one doing this lol, my daughter is 12 weeks old now and I have been giving my son my milk since it came in. He loves it!! It benefits a child no matter how old they are so go ahead! Oh I would only pump after your baby has nursed just to make sure he/she gets everything first. Trust me you will have lots of milk left over to pump. After my daughter would nurse I was still pumping about 6 oz so thats not bad. However I got so exhausted after the first 7 weeks that I stopped pumping and im just nursing my baby now and every once in a while my son will want to nurse. Good for you that your wanting to supply your 3 yr old with the best milk!! :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yes it's healthy. my son is almost 3 and i gave him some of my pumped milk but he said it was yucky! lol. but if i ever had any extra, i would mix it into his other milk since he says he doesn't like it. i couldnt' believe he didn't like it because he BFed for over 2 years, and i thought it was supposedly sweet tasting. ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It sure is. :) The WHO recommends that you breastfeeding your child for ATLEAST two years so, do it as long as you want. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010