Why does my exclusively breastfed daughter's poop stink?

I thought that was one of the pluses of breastfeeding, more pleasant smelling poop. I heard it could be when the mother has a lot of diary in her diet, so I cut our all diary 1 week ago. My baby is 3 weeks old now if that'll help in your answer.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The smell pretty much bases itself from what mom eats. Eat less spicy foods, garlic, and dairy and it wouldn't smell so bad but it's poo, it's going to smell regardless! Imagine if baby was formula fed... it would be worse!
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 9:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It may smell a bit less worse than formula poop, but it's still going to stink. Be careful cutting out dairy. When breastfeeding, if you do not have enough calcium supply for your milk, your body will literally suck the calcium out of your bones in order to have enough for the babies milk. You don't want osteo, so make sure you're getting enough calcium.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Baby could have just different intestinal flora or thrush which tend to make poo stink. It could be more of the stench of gas than the poop itself. It can change next week. Sometimes my baby's poo was rank and other times you hardly smelled it at all. it could be a chemical reaction with disposable diapers (if that's what you use). It definitely isn't the same as the rotten rancid, foetid, smell of formula poop.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Because its poop...Doesnt your poop stink? lol..It is supposed to be sweeter smelling. I thought it smelled nasty. l.ol. I preferred the formula poop smell. The breastmilk poo smell made me gag. Poop is not suppose to smell sweet! lol!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• What does it smell like? DS's poo smelled like bread, DD's smells like bread and eggs. Weird, but it definitely has a smell. Not really bad but not great either
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 1:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I definitely wouldn't cut out dairy just based on the smell of the poop. If there are other issues going on where you might think the baby is allergic, then that's fine. But don't cut it out just because your baby's poop doesn't smell as good as you think it should. Breastfed or not, it's still poop and poop is stinky. Some less than others.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Poop is poop, it stinks!!! Breastfed babies' poop generally does smell less than formula poop but it still stinks. It's waste coming out of their body, it's not going to smell like cinnamon rolls.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's not as bad as formula poop. Has she had any vaccines yet? DS's poo started stinking after his first vaccine.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010