How do I handle whining?!?!? I can't take it anymore!!!

I need a consistant strategy for a whiny 3.5 yr old!!! she whines about everything from wanting milk instead of juice to wanting the red crayon instead of the purple one...HELP PLEASE!!

EFotiou

Asked by EFotiou at 1:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine is 2.5 and it's HORRIBLE!!!! Just like yours, whines and screams when I give her water instead of juice or juice instead of milk... she throws everything, hits things..... the ONLY way she talks (I SWEAR) is with a whiny voice or she gets demanding! I stopped answering her and told her I can't understand her. If she demands I ignore her completely. If she says "i want ____" I won't give it to her until she says "May I have ____ Please?" If I tell her she's being a baby she says "ya, I'm a baby!" and laughs! I am getting so annoyed with this whole thing but I figure just keep correcting it now and hopefully she'll get better when she's older! GL!!! I know it's frustrating but mine's showing signs of improvement.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Don't answer her until she talks to you without whining...but you have to explain that to her.
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I simply tell my kids, if they whine, I can't hear them. I make them ask clearly and calmly what they want. Basically you just tell them "Mommy can't hear you!!"
    brittanyjo85

Answer by brittanyjo85 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• don't answer her and don't give in. it'll still be a struggle for a while, but she'll realize she won't get her way and eventually get over it.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• UGH, thats what I've been doing...I guess I'll keep on it. Maybe it's just a phase she's goin through
    EFotiou

Comment by EFotiou (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• it is a phase it has to be my son is the same way i tell him oh my gosh are you a baby if not stop talking like one and he usually stops
    jenin2

Answer by jenin2 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010