How young is too young for kids to be outside without an adult?

FENTON, Mo. – They're calling it another Missouri miracle — a 4-year-old girl abducted from her front yard and found safe 70 miles away more than 24 hours later.

The FBI said witnesses late Tuesday saw what they thought was a little boy wandering around a suburban St. Louis car wash. It turned out to be 4-year-old Alisa Maier, abducted Monday night from the yard of her home in Louisiana, Mo.

Alisa was taken early Wednesday to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in St. Louis for evaluation. After nearly three hours of examinations, the little girl and her parents left about 7:30 a.m., hospital spokesman Bob Davidson said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100707/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_girl_missouri-

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends where you live. I grew up in the woods away from the street and it was totally safe. I live in a very safe neighborhood now, but I'm not sure I would let a kid that young along in the FRONT yard.... Probably in the back yard away from the street.....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with Adelicious..defiantly not in the front yard at that age!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• im overprotective i live on base my oldest is 8 and i go out with him
    tishmomof2

Answer by tishmomof2 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I really think this depends what you yard is like and where you live regarding what age is right. In our old house we lived in town but had a privacy fenced BACK yard that was huge.. my kids played out there whenever they wanted even if I wasn't out watching them. The front yard my oldest who was 10-12 yrs old living there was allowed out to go hang out in a 3 block radius of the house.. my youngest who was 3-5 when we lived there was never allowed out front unless she was being watched.

Now we live out in the sticks with a big fenced property and live on a private deadend road but even there is a row of trees about 25 feet from our front gate and fence my youngest now 7 is not allowed to go any closer to the front fence then that row of tree's unless we are out with her.

Michele975

Answer by Michele975 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I consider our neighborhood very safe, but I still won't let my 6 year old twins out in the front yard without me watching them. We have a tall wood fence around our backyard, which I would let them in alone if we didn't have an inground pool. I don't know if I will ever let them out there by themselves before they are 12 or 13 even though they swim really well. They could still fall and hit their heads. Maybe I am overprotective, but I have a feeling I will be going out with mine for many years to come.
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 2:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010