alcoholic?

my SO once had to go to AA and i think he has a problem but he does not nor does his family... his father is and alcoholic and his mother and stepfather drink just about every weekend... he has a few beers at night... even if its just one it seems like he has to have one everyday sometimes he may go a few days without one but then back on track to atleast one every night... he doesnt think its a prob but i do... i dont want my son to grow up thinking thats what your supposed to do. im not sure what to think anymore does it seem like a problem to you or normal? he thinks its fine because he doesnt get drunk all the time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Health

• Just because you dont get shit faced doesnt mean you dont have a problem. I will agree with you - that seems like a problem to me.
    Spazz0828

Answer by Spazz0828 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Find out where the Al-Anon meetings are and get yourself to a meeting. You will be able to find people going through the same situations. If he was ordered to go to AA before he may not want to go again until he is ready. It may take years before he realizes that is where he needs to be but in the meantime go to the Al-Anon meeting for yourself.
    adakbride

Answer by adakbride at 1:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i wouldnt call drinking 1 being an alcoholic. An alcoholic and drug addict put those things before anything else..before family, bills, health, etc.. It could become a problem if he does not understand what you are telling him but if he understands and he isnt doing any of the ^ then i see nothing wrong.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• what is an AI- Anon meeting?
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If he can skip a few days without having an alcoholic drink, then I don;t think he's a full-fledged alcoholic. But I would keep an eye on whether or not he starts drinking more or is a "closet drinker!"

My mother is an alcoholic, and HAS to have several beers OR glasses of wine EVERY night--sometimes she can't wait until "after 5PM" to start drinking. When drinking becomes something you think about constantly and "can't wait to have," IMO, you have a problem.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• what is an AI- Anon meeting?

***
    ALcoholics ANONymous.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't like that one bit.. he definitely has a prob
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• okay i have only ever seen it as AA thanks ladies
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 7, 2010