How do I get my almost 2-1/2 year old son to sleep in his own bedroom?

I'm a single mom to an amazing little boy. Skyler currently sleeps in my bed with me, he has since he was about 8-9 months old. Up until recently I could at least get him to fall asleep without me being in bed with him. BUT now he will not even fall asleep unless I'm in bed too! :( As soon as I get into bed, he gives me a kiss and says "good night" and out he goes... I want to get him in his own room and bed. His crib has been converted to a toddler bed now for some time and I even did the bedroom theme in his favorite movie - Cars ... Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly aprreciated. I love sleeping with my little boy BUT don't want him to be doing so until he is 10 or older - LOL ... HELP!

skyler2008

Asked by skyler2008 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IF you have the money to do so, buy him a twin bed rather than the toddler bed. It makes the bed a "Big Boy" bed AND it give you room to lay with him in his bed to read, rub his back, sing a lullaby, and wait for him to fall asleep in his own bed before gently rolling out and leaving him in there sleeping.

Good luck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• slept with him in his bed, or until he falls asleep, then sneak out
    it is a start
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I start my daughter out in her room by getting in bed with her. When she falls asleep I get out and she will be fine all night. I have to believe that she will grow out of that sooner or later but for now I do what works. Good luck
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have a two year old and four year old. I lay down with them on their beds for a lil bit telling stories. Then i tell them i'm going to sleep. I get up and my four year old lays with my two year old and they go to bed. My two year old would cry in the beginning but i think they've gotten used to me leaving and going into my room by myself.
    destinys1

Answer by destinys1 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS! I actually had a twin bed that was not being used so that got moved to his room Thursday night and all weekend we did our new routine and getting him into his own bed has been working!! :) I tell him it's bed time and he goes to HIS room instead of MINE! :) We read 2 or 3 books, say our night time pray and lights out!! I lay in bed with him and we sing a few songs together and then I stay with him until he falls asleep! So far so good! ALTHOUGH he does wake up in the middle of the night and ends up back in my bed BUT HEY baby steps - lol ........ that will be the next thing I work on with him!!
    skyler2008

Comment by skyler2008 (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Jul. 12, 2010