Bringing a newborn home to a toddler

17 month old DD has been the center of my world since she was born, now I'm having DD #2 soon! What can I expect when I bring a new baby home to her?? Thanks ladies for taking time out to answer. Honesty is appreciated. :)

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every child takes to the change in their own ways. My oldest daughter was the same for me when her sister was born. Plus she was super possesive of me in general. Surprisingly she fell right in love with her sister in the hospital and she quickly became HER baby! lol
    She was my little mini-mommy! ;)
    With thier brother recently coming home they were a little standoffish at first (I think they were scared of hurting him, lol) but now they just want him to get big enough to run around and play with them, lol.

I wish you nothing but luck!

Congrats!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It depends on the personality of the toddler. When my second was born, my oldest was 22 months old. He adjusted very well and wasn't jealous or anything .... half the time he didn't even notice that the baby was there. LoL. But now my older kids are 2 and 4 yrs old and I just had twins ( they are 6 weeks old ). This time it's been a lot different -- They were both really jealous for about the first week after the babies came home. Also, I have already caught them trying to PICK THE BABIES UP two different times.... they don't really understand how bad they could hurt them, ya know? There are good things too though. lol.... Like, they are really excited about having a new brother and sister and they always want to "help" take care of them and stuff like that.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Keep a Close eye on the toddler.. lol she dont know right from wrong and sometimes will wanna help but sometimes can be a little trouble. This one time the baby was napping So I thought I get some cleaning done. I noticed whenever my toddler was quiet she is up to something.. lol congrats
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I was also going to ask the same question, my son will be 3 in August and I currently expecting another baby in October and I was wondering how I could prepare him being a big brother?
    aidens_mom_0854

Answer by aidens_mom_0854 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I found it was pretty easy to bring a new baby home to a 17 mo old sibling. They are so young they don't really remember having mommy all to themselves. I saw no signs of jealousy, etc. I did have to change from a bassinet to a pack-n-play in the living room because the toddler tried to climb the bassinet and almost tipped it over. I found it was really handy to have the pack-n-lay in the living room so I had a safe place to put the baby while I did something like go to the bathroom. My toddler never tried to hurt the baby on purpose, but a child that young has no sense of what they are doing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Every child is different. I've heard horror stories, and I was very nervous about bringing my baby home because I wasn't sure how my 3 year old would act. He was pretty good for the most part. He spent the first few days trying to "show off" for her, which got really annoying, but eventually he settled down. He always wanted to hold her and would try to play with her. I do have to constantly remind him to watch out for her if she's on her playmat or if I'm trying to feed her and he wants to jump in my lap. We've tried to do a lot of special things with him this year, as well as do a lot of things as a family. It's all about finding a balance. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Some of the best advice I got had to do with breastfeeding. My toddler had weaned a few months before baby was born. The first day home he asked to breastfeed (he pointed at my chest and tried to lift my shirt). I'm really glad that I said "yes" (I had been told the toddler might ask, but they would most likely not know what to do). He lifted my shirt, kissed my chest just above my breast, put my shirt down, smiled, and walked away. He never asked again. I'm so glad that I said yes because I think if I had said no he would have felt rejected and kept asking.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son was 18 months when I brought home his sister. He really showed no jealousy whatsoever - he mainly just ignored her until she was old enough to play with. Once she was 8-9 months old they became great playmates and at 9 and 10, still are. I'm having #5 on Friday and my 4th is 20 months. Other than getting him a few new toys to pull out when I need to spend time with her, and making sure her stuff is spread around the house so he gets used to it, I haven't done a whole lot but don't expect any problems.

Answer by missanc at 3:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i thought my daughter was going to hide her in her toy box!! but she fell head over heels in love with her and still is!! she picked out a toy to give her at the hospital and the baby gave her one.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My oldest was 15 months when our 2nd was born.  She was super independent and didn't need my attention 24/7 so when the baby came home it made no difference to her.  She liked to sit and help me with the baby, pick out his clothes, feed him, dress him, change him, etc.  She's "play" with him by sitting next to him on his blanket and showing him his toys or her books or whatever, babbling away at him.  They were best friends.

They are 10 and almost 9 now and still best friends (even if they fight a whole lot more now).  They'd be lost without each other.  My 3rd was brought home to 2 toddlers.  The older kids were 13 months and 28 months when she was born and they basically ignored her until she was old enough to move around.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010