Does your familys reaction to your babys name make you change it or keep it?

I'm talking about when you first tell them what you want to name them.

cynprz

Asked by cynprz at 1:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Baby Names

• well it did for me, sorta. I was dead set to name my second daughter "Lyra Celeste". When I told my family most of them were against it, saying kids would make fun of her, they said some one at some point would call her a "lying slut" but I didn't really care what they thought, it wasn't unitl my husband said he didn't want to name our daughter that because he feared kids would call her "Liar Lyra" and stuff like that. In the end I let my husband pick the name since I was the one who picked our first childs name. I still love the name "Lyra" and told my husband that if we have anymore kids and its another girl then her name will be Lyra no matter what anyone says includinhg him
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 1:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Keep it! Its my choice! =)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• None of my family liked it when I told them I was going to name my son Cadence Blaine...But I didn't care what they thought. He is my child and I will name him what I want. Although after he was born everyone started calling him Blaine and it stuck.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Nope! We decided on the name and that's it. There was a little controversy but too bad. I gave birth to the child and my DH contributed so it was OUR decision.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I kept it. My kid, my decision! lol
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Nope- as others have said My kid, my choice.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I never had an issue with the name I picked out. But I have to say a member of my family is having a baby very soon and the name she picked out is SO bad. I have not said anything and every time I say the name everyone comments on it. It is not just me. I would never say anything but that poor kid is going to have a tough time some day.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Most of mine didn't like my daughter's name Nadia that much, but they knew it was the backwards spelling of Aidan and thought it was clever. Now everyone likes it, and it totally fits her.
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 2:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Our names weren't made public til our babies were born - we picked names but told NO ONE beforehand.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010