Is it ok to be scared to go into labor?

it is my first baby and I do not know if I will be ok, The doctors are talking about a c-section.

Asked by shelby_1985 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Ofcourse sweetie its total normal to be scared heck everyone is i was even after my first but just remember that its okay your not a lone and that it wont last forever and just think soon u will have ur child you will be fine its what our bodies were made for. Try getting urself as prepared as can be do what ever you feel is best some do breathing or yoga or dula or hypno birthing i just did typical breathing but i think whatever helps is great : ) lots of hugs

Answer by Patience1 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Oh hon! *big hugs* Labor and birth are nothing to be scared of! Most doctors are asshats and like to scare mothers into c-sections. It's easier on them that way. Truth is that birth is VERY safe. Yes, some women have complications. But only 3% of women have serious complications. 3%! That is such a low low number when you consider how many women in the world have given birth!

If your doctor is pushing for a c-section and there isn't a serious reason for it, I would find a new doctor. Or hire a midwife (which is usually better anyway).

Answer by amethystrse at 2:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was terrified of giving birth but what really helped me was focusing on "what is she going to look like? ". I was lucky and didnt have a c-section and unless absolutely needed think they are just a way for docs to get more money. but no matter what just focus on wanting to see your beautiful baby and it will be over before you know it!

Answer by SidneysMommy567 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• As a nurse I have helped deliver babies (only in clinicals though), I have witnessed many deliveries, and I know that most deliveries go just fine.

I am also pregnant with my first and I am terrified of labor and delivery. Personally, I think I would be more worried about you if you were not. It is the fear of the unknown and it is perfectly natural.

I guess that is why you came to a support forum like this. To get some additional support and have your fears validated.

I wish only the best for you and your baby.

Answer by girlneffy at 2:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It is ok to be scared! It is such a normal feeling for a first time mother.. When I was told it was time to push for the first time, I cried so hard. I was just sooo scared.. But once everything started happening, before you knew it, its all over and you have this beautiful little person to adore and take care of! Focus on the outcome of everything, and do your best to think positive! Everything will be ok!

Answer by Reganc at 2:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It is very normal to be scared. When I started getting REALLY uncomfortable and was unable to sleep because the constant heartburn that I finally decided that labor had to be better than this and I wanted her OUT LOL.

Answer by alcinoe at 3:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• ITS WAYYYYY OK....i was terrified, i just had my 1st, but it was exciting. and yes it hurts bt you can get through it. every women does it

Answer by ConnordrewsMom at 3:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was soooooo scared to go into labour! I surprised my self and I actually enjoyed it lol. It's natural to be scared coz you don't know what will happen exactly but just think, with every contraction you're one step closer to meeting your baby :)

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• It is completely normal and natural to be scared. I was scared to death when I had my daughter. I thought it was going to be the most painful, horrible, bloody experience in the world. There are complications with any procedure but delivery isn't bad. My daughter's birth went as smoothly as a premature delivery could go. I only pushed for 12 minutes and 10 pushes. It took no time. My epi wore off at 9cm and the pain wasn't near as bad as what you would think. It hurts worse the next day than actually delivering.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I was freaked out with my first baby but once you go through it your so excited and suprisingly ready. It's tough work, but so worth it. I had an epidural, that I didn't want, but everything was fine. 12 hours of labor and once the baby was out everything was like a dream. I had the best time of my life with my baby, pain or no pain it doesn't matter once you see your little one. This time I'm doing it all natural because I want to be able to be more involved with delivering my child. It will be so amazing.

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 5:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2008